Trim question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by craddock1, May 29, 2006.

1. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i have a 16 foot jon with a mercury 15 hp 4 stroke tiller steer. when i open it up the front goes so high i cant see over it and stays there. i have moved the tilt bar several times and it doesn't seem to help. i am afraid to open it up in any substancial wind. any ideas. thanks in advance.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont know what is available prop wise for that small of a motor but I do know a raked prop will put the nose down some.

Other options would be a set of Smart Tabs. Around 150 bucks or so.

Or a real cheap inexpensive trick. Flip the boat over and glue a couple of wedges at the stern on the bottom. It dont take much of a wedge. I would start out with a wedge going from 0 to 1/4". I'd make the wedges a foot or so long and 2-4" inches wide for starters. What you are doing is putting hook into the hull.
    It beats piling sand in the bow.

A doel fin will add lift to the rear of the boat and also aid in planting the bow.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I probally should elaborate a little on Smart Tabs.
    They are trim tabs you mount to the rear of the boat BUT they aren't hydraulic or electrically operated. They operate by water pressure. The faster you go the more they raise up. At a dead stop they are in the down position. They will put you on plane very quick for this reason with little to no bow pop. Some hulls the boat never changes attitude from hole shot to plane.

One of the greater inventions for boats that has come about in the last few years in the economy range.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Mark covered about everything.

You can make those smart tabs using those little shock type lifts that hold a tail gate, or a hatch back up. That's what the boys in Fl put on their airboats.