trim pump not working - 4.0L 135 horse Merc Alpha one engine

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cckessin, Jan 1, 2006.

1. cckessin

cckessin New Member

State:
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Robert, I have a 2004 bayliner 175 runabout with a 4.0L 135 horse Merc Alpha one engine. the problem I have is, I recently noticed a leak in my stern drive trim pump. It is located behind my back seat next to the battery. One of the quick connects for the hydrualic hoses broke when I was trying to install the battery after recharing it. The battery slipped and hit one of the quick connects on the pump, breaking the connection. I tried to replace the connection but couldn't find a connector that would fit into the hose correctly.

It screws into the pump itself fine, but we had to try and muscle it into the hose with little success. We did get it connected and acutally got the stern unit to lift up before it started leaking again. Is there a fitting I could buy that would fit into that small of a hose. It was a 1/4 inch hose, but it has a layer of plastic inside of it making it very difficult to insert a fitting. I also noticed that once I got the unit to raise up I couldn't get it to come back down.

Does the unit need to be bled? I am sure that air built up inside once we cut the old connection off of the hose. Is there a connection i could bye, maybe from mercury that could be crimped tight enough to stay on the hose. the one I bought from West Marine came with a screw type clamp that you would see on a radiator hose. The quick connect worked fine but the toughest part was getting the other end inserted in the hose far enough to stay on under pressure.

Is there any way I could fix this or am I destined to go to the marina? I have cut the hose so I would probably have to get a new hose now if I can't fix it my self. My biggest problem is getting a fitting that would go into the hose with that plastic liner inside of it. once inserted what is a good clamp or crimp to keep that thing tight enough to work under pressure. I don't believe that screw type clamp is going to work. Thanks for your help, Chad

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'll take the easy one first; Bleeding is done just be cycling the pump up and down 4 to 5 times.

Now about the hose and connector; If it screws into the hose, screw it in counter clockwise to insert it into the hose. I've never seen that type put on a factory stock hydraulic hose though. You'll probably have to install a new hose with the correct fittings already on the hose.

There is only one brand I've ever seen that can be made up at the shop or by the boat owner. It has to be those connectors and only that brand hose will fit them. I wish I could remember what brand hydraulic line it was.

If you decide to remove your line and reinstall a new one, attach a pull line to one end so you can pull/route the new line back in the same way.

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Guy at work has a cajun boat with a 115 merc on it it will tilt up but takes forever to go down is this a case of it needing bleed?
    Loop

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chad,

I don't know much about boats, but, I can tell you that if you have a hydrallic line that needs to be repaired/replaced, your best bet is to check around your town and see if there is a hydrallic shop that either makes/repairs hydrallics. I know of 3 in Tulsa. They can normally replace the fittings on the hoses with speciallized equipment. If not, they can replace the hose, a lot of times, for less than buying a "standard" hose.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Loop, I doubt it would need bleeding. Trim units self bleed simply by cycling them 4 to 5 times. Ask him to trim it up all the way and check his fluid level.