Trim problems

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Feb 23, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just went to trim the motor back up to pull it outside because I always store it trimmed down. Started to trim up for a couple seconds and stopped?? Now all I am getting is small clicks when I try and trim it up or down. Don't know why it did this all of the sudden. The voltage on the battery is reading 12 volts..Any ideas?:confused2:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Test your solenoids. Sounds as though they have hung up or burned out. Try jumping them and see if you get movement out of your trim unit.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Also make sure the connections aren't corroded after setting all winter. Test the voltage at the solenoids to make sure your trim switch is still good

4. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Test the battery while you're trying to operate the trim. Your battery at 12 volts is down to 25% of charge. If it drops down to 11.9, under load, it's discharged, and it may not be able to supply the amps needed to operate the trim.
    Your battery @
    12.7 = 100%
    12.4 = 75%
    12.2 = 50%
    12.0 = 25%
    This might be the problem.
    Ed

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for all the help, it actually turned out to be an easy fix at the end atleast, not even gonna go into what happened during this process, but all is well now. It ended up being an in-line fuse that goes to the selonoid. After looking the engine over for a full day, I ran across that fuse, checked it, it was blown. I figured I would give it a shot and now she works great. Thanks for the help guys..

6. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Glad you found the problem was an easy fix.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi,
    You may want to do a couple of things. clean all battery post's and wire connectors. Ensure they are tight enough for for the current to travel. Check the fulid level in up pto. Check by chance if anything is blocking it all from moving.
    I hope that helps!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It ended up being an in-line fuse that goes to the selonoid