Trim motor engages at random

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Skipjack, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I have a '92 Evinrude 150 on a 18' bass boat. I just had the trim motor raplaced last year. Sometimes the trim motor will engage, and the motor will come up out of the water at random. It has 4 different trim buttons, one is after market, mounted on the steering wheel. One of the buttons is on the front, and sometimes it gets wet when I catch bait or when I cross a big wake. I think that it may have a short in the button on the gear shift, because when I smacked it, in a panic, at 45mph, it started working properly again. I have not takan the boat out since, in fear that it might happen again.
    Any advice is apprieciated. David

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    My experience with bass boats and the bow mounted switch is, get rid of the bow mounted switch.

The switch in the handle would be a good possibilty also, second most to fail. First if you don't have a bow mounted one.

All you can do is start investigating your wiring. Disconnect your battery when it's not in use. If that thing decides too trim up when you're not around, it could heat up to the point where it'll burn all your wiring, right down to the trim motor. It'll also take out whatever wiring it's tied to. Possibly burn your boat. I've seen it happen.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It sounds to me that if your capable of trouble shooting/repairing the electrical circuit, you'd better get at it. If not, and you don't have a friend you would trust the boat and motor with, get it to a shop. Repairs are generally cheaper than replacement.

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Had that exact same problem earlier in the year. I'll tell ya right quick the bow switch is cheap and easy. The throttle switch and motor switch are boogers and expensive... Did i mention expensive! It wouldn't do it on the water so i gave in and relaced all three. Be very careful, it will cook your boat and all your wiring. Be lucky it doesn't set the gas tank on fire also.... Do yourself a favor get them all replaced!

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I unhooked the batteries as soon as I pulled it out of the water. I would like to try to replace the switches myself in an effort to save money, as I have dumped too much money in this rig already. I have searched the web for these switches, but I haven't been able to identify the specific switches. Do you all know where I might find them? My boat is a '98 Sprint with a '92 Evinrude 150. Thanks again ,David