Trim indicator problem

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by craigr, Jul 23, 2006.

1. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    2003 Polar Kraft w/115 Yamaha Four Stroke -

I had to replace the starting battery this w/e, I don't think this would make a difference but....

When taking my boat out yesterday morning, I noitced that the trim meter says the motor is fully raised when it is not. If I lower the motor fully, (it won't go any farther down), the meter does move some, but still shows it as elevated.

This meter has never caused me any problem before. I don't have a clue where to start looking, & of course it went out of warranty this past March.

Do you have any ideas?

craigr

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Now that is strange. I sure dont have a clue cant see why changing a battery would cause that.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yamaha's have a plastic ring with a stub on it that actuates the trim sending unit as the motor tilts. This plastic ring is on the tilt tube under and in front of the engine. This plastic ring breaks and pivots around the tube, instead of staying stationary and rotating with the tube.

Check it and see if it's broken. It's a common problem with Yamaha's

4. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    VERY GOOD!!!

I finally got around to working on the boat today, and looked where you told me to, & you were right. It's broke.

It looks like something pretty easy to fix once I get the part. I will have to look in my manual to figure out how to calibrate it once replaced.

Too bad it's made out of plastic. What do you think about replacing it with a hose clamp? I thougt about trying a hose clamp and bending the extra that hangs out to touch to lever.

I'm not big on 'cobbling' things, but in this case I'm not thrilled with replacing it, just to break again soon.

Thanks for your reply & answer to my problem, it saves me a trip to the mechanic.

craigr

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Craigr, anything's possible. I've never tried a hose clamp.

If you get a new plastic piece, be careful putting it on and be sure it's warmed up. It has to be stretched open to go over the tube, and plastics can be brittle when it's cold.

6. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks again for the advice.

I think I will try the hose clamp. The worst that could happen is it won't work & if it does work I won't have to worry about it again.

craigr

7. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well, the hose clamp thing didn't work - sort of...

The clamp alone didn't work, but I cut a strip out of the center of the hosse clamp & fit it over the busted original clamp, so that the 'tong' that operates the indicator was still there. I'm guessing that there isn't really any adjustment to it, since the original 'ring' has a nub on it that fits in the hole of the shaft.

I got it to work, but as soon as I fully raise the motor, it comes off the 'tong', then when I lower the motor, it bypasses the 'tong'. It's like the 'tong' is too short to catch the lever. My wife & I swear that the 'tong' doesnt look like it has something busted off of it, but we can't figure out any adjustment to make longer for the lever to catch it on the way down.

I bought the $70 shop manual & in the exploded view ot the tilt shaft, it shows the plastic ring w/the tong on it, but doesn't mention adjustment or anything about it.

Unless we can find an anwer before, it looks like the dealer will get to fix this one when I take it in for the Winter 'go over'.

craigr

8. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    do you really use the trim indicator?

I look at mine from time to time but usually go by feel and sound more than anything.

Like the guy when I bought the boat said "trim it till you get max speed at min RPMs"

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I didn't think about that your boat is practically new, of course you want everything to work :)

I couldn't figure out how to delete the post so I figure I would just follow up so that everyone would know how silly I was :)

10. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just got used to checking my trim from time to time. I run the Missouri River ALOT and raise & lower the motor pretty often due to getting into shallow areas. I tend to rely on the indicator instead of looking over my shoulder - just got lazy I guess.

As you mentioned, the biggest part is my boat is next to new, so I want everything to work. - Having said that...

I like everything in any of my vehicles / house / life to work right. If I have it, I want it to work. I guess I'm kinda obssesive about it.

craigr