trilene big game

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Feb 10, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I am using 30lb trilene big game for the gmr. it is a good choice for me I was a a local tackle store in downtown dayton ohio. fisherman's quarters back in 2003 Thom a guy that works there recommended this line to me and especially the 30lb range. i am glad I did listen especially with the gmr with the number of low dams and all the snags especially all the timber and concrete in that river. one thing that got me hooked to that line is the outside heavy cover that protects the monofilament from cuts and abrasion that would kill the tensile strength of the line. this stuff is made for reefs and piers works good with the structure in the gmr. i got my pb in 2005 on that line. also very stable platform for setting the hook very firm and good tensile action that when get the hook in there especially on flats and channels. very clean hook action as i fight the fish in good choice for me i have also gotten several large carp largest 21 in west carrollton this year very happy with this line rick:smile2:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Report Kat,Alot of Us here use Big Game and just Love the Line.J.D.:big_smile:

3. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is good to get positive reports back on the same line that I use. I also cought my P B 70# blue on 30# big game line. after catching the fish the leader line which is the same size was stretched an the solar green line was a clear blue. this tells me that this is the line of my choice an will stand up to a lot of different eliments L E :big_smile:T J

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good line the great miami river good shovelhead population meaning structure thanks guys rick

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rick, for all round Flathead hunting You should go up to 40lb big game. You already know its good line, but if you hook a 50,60, or 70lb range fish, you'll want the extra poundage. It might be the difference between you pulling one away from a snag, or he breaks you off getting into the snag. Its overkill for most fish, but why not be prepared when the fish of a lifetime hits?

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I use 20# on my 6500's and I have 40 on my 9000. Now I just have to get another rod for the 9000 but that will be in a week or 2 once we get our tax returns.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gary, You need some 80 or 130lb power-pro on that 9000 if you plan on fishing with me this year.

I use the 80lb but I was trying to get him to upgrade just a tic. 30lb is the lightest I would go for flats over 25lbs, if they were near cover on the river. Might be OK on a lake or a large river like the ohio.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I like to give them a chance Skip that way I feel better if they break me off LOL.

By the way no response on my PM:wink:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i run 30 and 40 pound big game. skip is right about the 40. however, i think the 30 casts alittle better, so i use it also along with the 40.. i have had it busted off though by some big fish!:crazy: rollo

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    iv been using this line for about 2 years now an love it i use 40 lb line an it gets to be a pain when you have to breake it off but have never lost a fish on it yet ill knock on wood now

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have the 30# BG on a couple reels and love the stuff. I'm planning on upgrading to 40# on a reel or 2 this year though.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't forget the color. I'm spooled with electric blue. It looks real nice with my reels! Tip of the day' always coordinate, the fish like it...and if you have to stare at your unit all day and night you can at least admire how good it looks! lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats what my 30# BG is also. I like the color and its stout line!
    Wow, that was my 6000th post! Only 200 more to go for a promotion...LOL!

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use the green 30# big game it's the best line a have used so far. I wanna get me a set of 7000 reels and spool them up with 50# big game for fishing the GMR in all the trees and concrete like you said. I used 20 almost all last year with minor problems. I switched it after i was fishing the bank by myself and i got the fish to the bank what looked like a 15 to 20lb flathead. When i reached to grab him he whipped and snapped my line. With the 30 i like it you can muscle them bigger fish around a bit more.

15. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well looks like im in the minority here i use cajun lightning 50lb. I have no doubt though that the big game is great line.

16. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    big game is definatley the way to go for big cats in cover, i dont run any lighter than 40, ive had thirty broken and lost a big one with fourty that i couldnt keep out of a logjam... im curious about the actual breaking strength of 40# big game... has anyone ever tested it by any chance? might be something to help with the cabin fever...lol

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Big game is also my line of choice, usually in 20-lb test!

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    both Big Game and Big Game Hi-Test (15, 25, and 30lb)are what my reels are spooled with, you cant beat it for the price. there are better lines out there IMO that have less memory, more strength, and cast better but B.G. does just fine for me.

19. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used big game in 50# solor green but I had to change it out a lot do to the memory in the line after a few months when it came off the spool of my 7000C3's like a coil spring which didn't cast very well and only got worst in really cold weather but I guess about all mono line gets stiff with age and weather. I switched to 80# power-pro to get the dia. line I wanted and use the 50# big game for leaders now. The power-pro really cast well with these reels in any kind of weather and last a few years between line changes.

20. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hope its as good as ya'all say it is. I took your word for it and ordered a 3# spool of 30#. I used Cajun red, but everybody raved the "Big Game" so I got some comin.:big_smile: