Triggers or no triggers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bill in SC, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just curious to others thoughts on triggers vs. no triggers on rods. I virtually despise a rod with NO trigger. I guess it's whatever you cut your teeth on, but triggers really aid in cast control, and reeling in fish. They are just so much more comfortable to fish with. I would not even consider a rod with no trigger. Can someone tell me one single advantage of not having a trigger, other than their adaptability to bank fishin' rod holders? Anxious to hear other thoughts.
    Bill in SC

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The only advantages I can think of with reel seats that don't have triggers:

1. They will fit in a tube style rod holder better... one of the holders where the rod slides all of the way into the tube until with reel hits the tube, like the long PVC stakes that people surf fishing like to use.

2. There are no REALLY heavy duty reel seats with triggers on them. Not that they couldn't be made...?? The only reason I could see for this is because some of the reel clamps that come with big reels can't clamp tight over the contours of some of the trigger seats without damaging them?

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Once you start using larger reels (ie Abu 7000 size) the trigger becomes kinda useless. now on a smaller bass fishing rod and reel a trigger is a useful thing. but chasing catfish, with larger rods and reels I really don't see how you would even miss it at all. All My Catfishing rods have no trigger and I've never missed it even once.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill, We have a lot in common on fishing gear, I'm 100% a trigger man ,as you said so much more control !!! :eek:oooh:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I prefer a trigger, but making a trigger a requirement really limits your rod options, and would eliminate some very good choices. So, I've got rods with triggers, and I've rods without triggers, about a 50/50 mix.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    What he said X2... Heck I can palm the reel better without ,,never used one execpt on a small bass rod.:cool2:

7. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Whats a trigger?????:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I like triggers but i use both about 70/30 :confused2:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Here's a tip for the trigger rods that have no hook keeper,

Drill a hole through the trigger and sand smooth.:wink:

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use triggers for my bass rods, other than that I don't use them.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I don't care for triggers. They seem to get in my way as I band fish mostly and use PVCrod holders

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You really can have your cake and eat it, too.

Google Trig'rr Clamp.

13. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    My mh catfish rods have triggers, my heavy rods do not. I dont really notice a lot of difference with either, when i catch a big one my left hand is holding the handle in front of the reel. I fish the mh fiberglass rods the most, they seem to work better with circle hooks. I do like the triggers when doing a lot of casting though.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Got one of those for my Newell's. Works pretty well, the positioning is a little off from what you are probably used to, but you adjust to it pretty quickly.

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I don't like a trigger on my rod cause it always gets cought in my zipper :wink:. All kidding aside I have both on my rods but as mentioned above on my 7000 series reels i have mounted on my heavy flathead and Blue rods I do not have triggers.I have never given it much thought but I can see where you would want them(Triggers) on your rods if you did alot of casting like them Basser fellas do.But then What do I know I'm just a Stupid Bohunk Butcher.LOL Later J.D.

16. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like triggers on my rods I have both kinds but I can cast the trigger ones more comfortabally. It seems likt the one without triggers try toturn in my hand wheni cast it out. It jusstseems odd to me.Thanks Sam Davis

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've got some with triggers and some without. I prefer a 7'6" heavy rod with a trigger but my 8ft rods without the trigger do just fine as well. Just personal preference I guess. I just like them more for casting, doesn't make much difference to me when reeling or fighting fish.

18. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    I have to say I prefer rods with a trigger, but on a reel that uses a rod camp, the trigger can be in the way. On those, I usually convert to a trigger clamp as mentioned earlier. I like the fact that the trigger helps me hold onto a larger reel better when casting a lot of weight. Its less likely to slip out of your hand when wet or slimy with bait.
    I like the new Fuji Palm seat idea, which puts the trigger farther back but its more intended to be behind your whole hand and not just one finger.
    I use one on a jigging rod with a Saltist 40H offshore and love it, even though I feel the seat could stand to be a bit longer or the trigger farther back. It's a tight fit with my big hands.

I have noticed however that I often have no choice when it comes to factory rods, often to find the right action I want, I often have to go to a boat rod style with no trigger.

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used to only use poles with a trigger so i could put the trigger on the back side of a pole holder kinda like locking it in .

Anymore it makes me no difference .