Trifecta!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Blade4130, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Hi all, been catching little flatties, ocassional channel with nothing big at all the past week. Tonight was more the same, but what a fun night it was. First two hours was nothin at all. Still, a great night to be out and nobody was on Blue Springs Lake after dark exept a couple of boats. A first for a friday thats for sure. I was the only one fishing from the bank on the dam side of the lake. Very nice breazy and relaxing night:big_smile: I even made a freind. <lol> a mouse kept crawling over my tackle bag. It took me a while to figure out what he wanted, but then I remembered that I had some peanut butter crackers in there. So I took one out and layed it on a rock. <lol> after that I had more little mouse freinds. A little to many for a while. After they ate those crackers they went on their way. Right at midnight I got my first hit. Another nice 6 pound flat like I have been catching the past week. Not long after that I got a nice channel to take a live perch. I got one more channel and another nice eating flattie before having a nice ten pound blue munch a blue gill. That was a nice little surprise getting all three species:smile2: The wind really started to kick up after that and you could smell the rain comin. As I was getting my things gathered in-case I had to soon make a fast "get-a-way" my clicker went bezerk. I knew right away it was flat and bigger than what I have been catching. Right then in a flash the wind was super strong and it was raining it's butt off. I got the fish in and couldn't weigh the sucker or take a picture. I wanted to get out of there as now little pea sized hail was coming down. I would guestamate that flat was 12 - 15 pounds. Would have loved to admire it more but I got the hook out as quickly as I could and back into the water. <lol> it was crazy getting back up the hill to my truck as the wind was fierce. After I got home I found out we had 60 mile an hour winds in Jackson and Clay county. Still, I had a super fun night out:big_smile:

2. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Sounds like one fun night of cattin.I have never got all three in one night,just channels and flats.Way to go,and continued fishing success to you.Come to think of it I really dont know if I have ever caught a blue cat...and if I have if wasent because i was targeting them.

3. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks, tonight made my second time ever getting all three in one night. <lol> both times came this year. I was specifically going for flatties, but hey I will take all three for sure:big_smile: If Catfish Earl reads my post I just want to give a big thanks to him. Your helpful tips to my questions last night greatly helped this evening:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

4. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Woodchucker I will soon or try like hell to get a flat like yours in your avitar. Thats a nice flathead you got there brother:wink:

5. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Hey Don,
    Thank you bro.The fish in my avatar went 30lbs.Put in the time and effort and the sky is the limit.Here is my biggest flathead at an estimated 66 lbs,released.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  6. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Heck Yeah:big_smile: and you even gave it CPR? Man, way to go on that:big_smile:

7. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah we gotta good'en lastnight. I got woke up around 1:20 ( and I dont wake easily) I was hail'n to beat all and damn near blow'n my trees down! I live exactly 7minutes north of th BS dam, so you must have got pounded!

8. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Right on Don!! :cool2: Cats always seem to go on the feed right before a big system rolls in. :big_smile:

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congratulations on the trifecta. My buddy and I got one about a month ago. Just goes to show ya, anything can happen.

10. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guys,

No fishing for me tonight, but will be back out tomorrow night. I plan on hitting "the big stinky" Missouri river tomorrow night. I don't get many huge gills from BS so I am going to hit my cousins pond for some big gills and then head to the river. I am only going for the big daddies tomorrow night. They are going right back in the water so you would think they would co-operate and take my bait:crazy: <lol>

11. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    man i sure hope they do cooperate with you. i have had the same strategy for the last few times out, and ive been ignored by the big ones.
    good luck to you.