Tried to put the rumors to rest today...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Jan 12, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I got out today with Catcrazed..(thanks by the way bud!), we tried to put a face on the rumor that blue cats inhabit East Fork Lake, unfortunatley, we didn't prove or disprove anything, because we ended up with 1 bite all day, and even that was a tap. Tried drifting, and conventional bottom rigs, nothing...But the most frustrating part was we were marking fish, and I mean big fish all day. I couldn't figure out why we ended up with nothing to show for. Now we have heard through the grape vine, that blues are in there, and I think they are, but I dont think they are abundant, and the ones that were sure werent hungry. When you are marking monster fish, and putting your bait right on them and you get nothin...man thats frustrating.:angry:, Even more frustrating since I am so used to fishing the river, and the lake in the winter is a entirely different animal for sure...Here's a question for you winter flathead guys...East Fork lake holds monster Catfish, especially flatheads, now I am willing to bet that many of the huge fish we were marking sitting on the bottom were flatheads, but I wouldn't have the first clue as how to catch them in these weather conditions???Rollo I would have loved to turn you loose on the lake today because I bet you could have figured it out...We were putting the bait right on there noses and nothing..:eek:oooh: All in all I am glad I got to meet yet another BOC brother nice enough to take me out, when I get my boat I will be returning alot of favors...But man what gives? One of the most dissapointing days in a long time, I knew going into this it was gonna be different for us, but I didn't expect it to be that dead. That lake produces big time in the warmer months, but may be a lost cause for cats in the winter..And as far as the "Blue" rumors...I guess it will remain a rumor for me, I think I will stick to the river for them puppies!:big_smile:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    BTW, using skips and frozen shad, couldn't find any live shad over 2 inches, and skips do not inhabit that lake...This may help some before you ask sorry I forgot to post that..:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have always heard east fork holds good fish... how was you fishing for them tbull? rollo

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i guess i see you said drifting, which would have been too quick for flatheads in my opinion. did you try to use a jig? when they get really inactive, downsizing to a simple 1/4-1/2 oz. jig head tipped with a small cut bait can get them to bite..? who knows? ...wish i could have been there to see... they just don't always bite! :smile2: rollo

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I can answer that rollo. We were using skipjack herring and shad but the shad had seen better days.(been frozen) The skipjack on the other hand was caught just the other day and vacuum sealed. It was just as good lookin and bloody as new. We were marking lots of fish on the bottom in about 30-40 feet of water. For most of the day we were drift fishing, trolling ever so slowly with 3 way rigs straight off of the side of the boat. 3 food line with weight, and 1 food line with circle hook. So while dragging the sinker across the bottom of the lake slooooooooowly the bait is being pulled about 2-3 feet off of the bottom(about where the fish were at). Then we thought that maybe the slow movin bait was spookin em so we changed out rigs to just lay on the bottom in one spot. NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING! It really was a shame to cause there were fish there. This lake has spots well over 100 feet deep and when we looked in this deeper water there was nothing, nowhere. We tried to find the bait fish and had little to no luck but at the end of the day we did find some 2-3 inch shad flipping in a cove. We tried fishing in the cove also for we were marking fish there as well. I evan tried a floater in this cove a foot or 2 deep along the edges of the bank. Did anyone else fish today. Could it have just been a bad day? what we were fishing in the 30-40 feet of water was old road beds that were flooded in when the lake was damned up!

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We were drifting mainly for blues, then we tried just throwing some cut bait on bottom??? Just like you would fish a river pretty much...

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I hope you guys don't give up, I'm sure there are alot of us that would like to know the answer to the rumor. I'd go find out myself but I don't have a boat.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all they will be alright..lol.. they are as dedicated as they get on here...im sure it was just a bad day. we all have them, frustrating but thats fishing....:wink: rollo

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have tried to catch flatheads in the winter to no avail in previous years. from my experience, as well as everything i have ever read in magazines, or even heard from veteran flathead anglers is the fact that flatheads will not feed when the water is below 45 degrees so unless you know that water below is over 45 i myself wouldnt bother. i have very limited experience with blues (unless you count pay-ponds) but i do know they like lots of current. i would try and find an area of the lake with some current that is near deeper water, like near where the creek comes in or in the deep channel near the base of the dam. maybe also where the main channel is constricted, say at two narrow points in the lake.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We tried all of that, even drifting through where 2 of the original creek channels almost merged in 4 ft of water, nothing...As far as the flatheads, the water temp was around 43 to 45 degrees, but I disagree, these fish have to eat sometime I dont care how cold it is...Now given they arent gonna go far for there next meal either...IMO:wink:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It's possible that these fish weren't Blue Cats. Skip and I were fishing in late November and everytime we marked "big" fish, they turned out to be Gar. A big mark is not necessarily a big Cat.

As far as jigging for flats, the cold water bites I have had, I would recommend the Jig and pig presentation used by Bass fisherman. In other word jigging the same spot over and over triggering an instinctive bite by a very inactive fish.

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    know what you mean, but I am almost 100% positive there are no gar in that lake. I have fished it for years and never caught, seen, or even heard of gar in there...The high population of flathead cats in that lake is why I am almost positive they were flatheads. Its pretty much your basic large state park lake, bluegill, carp, crappie, bass, stripers, and cats...

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well bro I've heard of people getting them out of there. But it's not often that i have ran into someone that has caught any blues out of eastfork. Not that i am saying there ain't any in there at all is they are not as populated as channels and flats in that lake. Wish you would have caught some bro we can go give it a try again sometime when the river is rushing. If nothing else we will cast net for some shad and fish some crappies. I know there some big ones in there.:wink:

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yesterday would have been good for that, the only shad we could get in the net were only 2 or 3 inchers...

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    trust me travis, they are caught when water temps are under 45 as well. they are lathargic, you fish a bait slow, and put it in his face, he will pick it up...sometimes this is so sutle you simply feel resistance on the tip, slowly loading.. almost like you are simply snagged up.. you have to get a feel for this, and be right on them when they suck one up.. lighter tackle and lines work better, and i like braid for when they get this finicky, its more sensitive...rollo

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah that makes sense, trust me Rollo I am not doubting ya I know you know what you are talking about...Its just a whole different game for me. Blues are usually my winter fish of choice, but going to East Fork and marking those monsters that I am almost positive for flatheads, really makes we wanna give it another shot. Time will tell, Catcrazed and I talked last night and we may be heading back soon.:wink: We may have to come up there and kidnap you that weekend!:eek:oooh::smile2: