Tried to carp fish yesterday

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by tomcat85, Oct 17, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i had no luck at all. i used sweet whole kernel corn and chummed the water with a few handfulls. then i put a very light weight sinker on my line and i had a size 8 hook on. then i put a few kernels on my hook. i think i had a few bites but no carp took it. did i do everything right? and how do i know when to hook up on one or do they just take the bait?

you can check out where i fished heres the link.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31452

2. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Far from being a carp expert but I've fished mainly carp ponds with a configuration of a rice ball mixed with cream style corn wrapped around a sugar pop on a hook. There are different variations in the make up of the ball for different fisherman. The ball will come apart after it lays there a few minutes and the carp will suck up the sugar pop. They usually take the hook and run. I give them a count of three and set the hook. Good luck!

3. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    which one of the 2 waters were you fishing? the lake looks huge, so as with all carping ... location is the key. Unless that lake is stuffed full of carp, without finding them first, you may have a long wait. How do you know there are any carp in there? have you seen some caught?
    Is the lake local to you?
    If it is, what you could try is prebaiting for a couple of weeks, and then go back and try again.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    try usin a hair rig it will always outfish just using a hook. also, try deer protein pellets for chum. the carp luv em and you can get a 50lb bag for about $7.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    the lake is my local lake and yes it is HUGE. lol. i met this guy and he told me to go to that spot. he said he caught carp there all the time. i didnt catch any. i mightve had the wrong spot. how do you go about finding them?

6. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I usually just go catfishing and seem to find them?

I've tried some of the different dough balls for them, but I've caught more on plain night crawlers.

I haven't caught many carp this year, but I usually catch a few while fishing for cats?

I think the biggest one this year was around 14 pounds and it was on night crawlers.

Ken

7. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    just try not to catch them while using crawdad tails and youll burn'm up

8. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    how to find carp ..... ? well first and foremost one of the easiest ways is to actually look for activity on the surface. Carp like to jump (or try !!!) out of the water, and any sign of this is a good place to head for. It may mean a stroll around the bank with a pair of binoculars, but it will be worth it in the long run. Carp are patrol fish, and that's why you can catch a few, and then they're gone. (Like the guy who caught some .... but you didn't ... ) Unless there is plenty of food to eat, they will move on, but you keep feeding them and they will happily stay all day. The best method is to do some depth finding. I have a Smartcast, and it's great for finding ledges, holes, drop-offs ... all the things a carp will patrol along. If, as it seems, you know carp are present in the lake, then try one or both of the above. If there are weed/lily pad beds around, that's also a good place to start. Somewhere there is cover ??
    You certainly haven't given yourself an easy task on such a large lake, but the rewards could be staggering in the size of the carp a lake of that size must hold. Good luck, and keep asking the other anglers too, they could prove to be an invaluable source of information.

9. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have cought a ton of big sized carp. and a ton of smaller ones. no i have never fishined for them this time of year. but even when its 90 outside . in mid summer. i usually can catch a carp day long.and from everything i have tried. nothing in thisworld has compared to useing wheaties and crushed pineapple in heavy surop. out of a can. and i use the jucies from thecan to work my dough ball into the right consistancy.i use a smaller treble hook. not to small. cause i want bigger carp now. like 35 plus lbs. but i cover the hook just so it doesn't show anymore. a small ball. when they scop out food and swimming buy. they usually pick it up a couple times then . they swim by and just suck it upand keep swimming off. if i'm in a lake. i open my bail. and hang somthing from my line. so when it slowly starts rising up. i get ready. once tight i jerk. and done deal. the way they eat. and there the way ther mouths are. the treble sets it self most times.once line even begains to tighten

10. Juggernaut

Juggernaut New Member

State:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    We have been getting our carps on crawlers this fall. We tried corn, but only got fresh water drum fish on corn. The carp pretty much just take that bait and run. I think my husband got some on minnows too. I am posting a couple of pictures with this.

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    great pictures! thank you for all the tips! keep em coming lol ive got all winter to figure out how to find em!