Tried the New Bullets!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flathead willie, Nov 15, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice guys. I tried the 245 grain, 50 cal. hollow point Powerbelts last week and they do load easier and shoot real well. Now for the report: I shot a 125# Doe from about 90- 100 yards last Saturday. The shot was right where I aimed; right behind the left shoulder, without hitting the shoulder bone, and out a little further back on the right side. When I butchered the deer I was amazed! First, the exit wound was smaller then the entrance wound by about half. After hitting one rib, the entrance wound was the size of a half dollar. It hit another rib on the way out but that wound was the size of a nickel. The blood shock on the entrance side covered the entire rib cage, most of the left shoulder, and and continued 3/4 of the way up the neck! In 30 years, I've never seen a muzzle loader do that much damage to a deer. My 30-06 with 170 grain bullets doesn't create that much blood shock. I was shooting 120 grains of Pyrodex, (the package recommends 110-150). I think I'll go back to shooting 100 grains from now on.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Blood shock??Is that like a big blood clot between the connective tissue that can be removed?Or is it bruised meat that is not salvagable?

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i use these power belt bullets. all of my deer have this blood shock these bullets hit hard an spread good with the soft lead in them. i started using them when they fist came out with out the copper jacket on them. i shot a doe in the neck 65 yards an almost took her head . i use the arrow tip bullets now they seem to shot a lot better

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shot a doe yesterday afternoon at 35 yards with a 245 grain powerbelt hollow point. She made me in my tree stand and was stopped behind a clump of trees staring straight at me. I waited and waited for her to move forward a foot or so to get a chest shot. She started stamping her foot and I was afraid she was going to take off so I let her have it in the head. What a mess that made. That was at 4:00 PM. I reloaded and waited for another deer. The reloading part was a breeze. I hope I never have to use a sabot again.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I've been using powerbelts ever since they came out. I won't go back to sabots. There just too hard to start and load. I think sabot will go completely obsolete soon.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im with you i dont care fore sabbots iv got a box with 3 missing i couldnt get my gun to shoot them in a pattern but the powerbelts group five touching each other at 125 yards and the speed involved in loading the gun is great i use pyrodex 50/50 2 pellets and do great shot a turkey shhh dont tell nobody at 85 yards removed its head , i havent seen any deer yet bet i may get my chance this weekend

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used 100 grain loose pyrodex when I was using Sabot 250 grain bullets out of my 50 cal. Encore.

I swiched to 245 powerbelts and tried the 50 grain Pyrodex pellets for ease of use. I shoot 100 grain, so like you two Pyrodex pellets. I saw zero change of impact out to 100 yards when I made the switch. Man am I glad I did. I might try triple seven or clean shot next.

Anybody have any experience with any of the non-corrosive black powder alternatives? Thanks.

8. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I use Triple Seven and love it. It is so easier to clean my barrel. Less mess. My standard load is 245 grain Aerotip Powerbelt with 2 50/50 triple sevn pellets. Everything I have shot at has hit the ground instantly. Love that load and will not change it.

9. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I started using the platinum 338 grain powerbelt aero tips this year. they shoot very acurate and i like them a lot.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The blood shock is just a result of blown out veins from the impact and can be removed but usually takes a lot of soaking in salt water. Any rifle will do it but getting too much blood shock is a sign that you are using more power then you need for that size game. I didn't bruise the meat because I hit the rib cage, but if I had hit the shoulder, back strap, or ham, I would have had some messed up meat. These bullets hit hard and the smaller exit wound tells me that most of the energy stayed in the deer where it belongs. That's a good thing. I just don't think I need 120 grains of powder unless I was shooting Moose, Elk, or Bear. I used the same load on an 8 pointer yesterday at 275 yards and it didn't go 20 yards before piling up. I also got a big Doe yesterday at 160 yards and she dropped in her tracks. I'm very impressed with these bullets.