Tried out the new rod rack and holders!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, May 25, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Me and bigcatfish64 decided to have a rod rack made for my boat when on the Ohio river. I did the design work and had a friend make it for us. It looks good and worked just fine. Cant wait to try it out on the big river.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looks good Allen! Looks like you made the rod holders yourself too? Pretty simple driftmaster knock-off....I like it.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looks great!

I really like the layout :wink:

4. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey Matt, I think they work great, the rods are pretty easy to retrieve from the holders, yeah it really does serve its purpose, and best of all it really was inexpensive!!!!

5. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Yes I hade the rod holders made as well. That is the bad thing about driftmaster is that the all thread on them isnt long enough to go through thicker metal. My set updoesnt need any special mounts for them like the traditional driftmasters. I would have spent around $100.00 for for driftmaster rod holders, 4 mounts and shipping. I had a total of around $75.00 in the rod holders, the rod rack and the mounting system with the handles I ordered. It looks good and works fine and best of all I saved a ton of money. Thanks for the feed back brothers.

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would love to make something like that on my smaller jon boat..

7. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering if you could share the parts list needed for this setup

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i see you mention the driftmasters but have your rod holders pimped out like the monster rod holders!

Attached Files:

9. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Yeah, that was one of the draw backs of buying the driftmasters, the all thread was way too short and would have had to buy an additional mount for them. I like them monster rod holders but money was an issue for me so we made them ourselves with the help from a friend. As far as the parts list it was a custom job that was made perfectly for my boat so you would have to come up with your own measurments based upon you boat. We used 1" square tubing and made the top rail a few inches shorther than the back of the boat. The mounting plate is made out of steel and was 2-3" longer then the bottom brace of the rod rack. The mounting plate had a 1/2 all thread welded ded center on the plate and a whole in each end for the bolts, 3/8 i think. We drilled and tapped my boat deck to mount this mounting plate. The bottom brace had a 1/2 hole drilled through it in the center so when the entire rod holder can sit down on the mounting plate with the all thread running through it. I ordered 2 plastic oversized handles that would turn and tighten up on the allthread against the bottom brace. Only the two plastic handles holds the entire rod rack to the boat. The rod holders were fabricated out of 1/2 steel rod and heated up to get the bend. I had a 5" allthread shaft welded to the rod holders. I had two of them set at 30 and two at 45 degrees. The rod rack sets up just above the motor which is around 2' off the deck. We painted the rack and rod holders black. The ends of the rods holders that come in contact with a fishing rod was not painted red. It was a plastic dip that is commonly used to put plastic handles on hand tools. Picked it up for about $8.00. The plastic dip worked great. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about it.