Tried out my surf rod... Good news and bad news

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by catfishing is fun, Jul 7, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    The bad news is that we came home with no fish :embarassed:, but the good news is that we were fishing at the fairgrounds in lowell, i was about 100ft upstream of the bridge and about 100ft downstream of the boat launch, and I was casting overhanded with my new 12 footer... I landed on the other bank, i know its bad to land on land, but its been a goal of mine for like 2 summers now... so its pretty sweet :big_smile:

Marshall

PS, im going to leave for Missouri in the last week of this month, before then I want to catch a decent Michigan cat..... anybody got any ideas:cool2:

2. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    i have an 12' ugly stick surf rod which has become my fav by far. as for the decent michigan cat i will be of very little help. i've not caught anything worth mentioning in weeks.

3. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    yep, if you go to my profile and veiw the picture, that the biggest cat ive caught from michigan, and that was last summer:sad2:

4. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I know its heavily hit but I had a couple really good runs at the mouth of the flat river where it dumps into the Grand, there in Lowell, this was last year around the same time of year it is now. They were big fish that ran right into the nearest log jam and refused to come out, I tried to horse them in to no avail. I was using live gills and large shiner minnows. Are you fishing at night? If not your odds go way up for cats at night! I took my son out on my new river boat up to stephen's point up stream of the Saranac launch, its a nice hole right now with some wood, but during the day it was just SLOW and INSANELY HOT! I need to get back up there at night with some help sometime. I'm suprised how heavily hit even this location is. I got the last parking spot!

5. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    where dose the flat dump into the grand, is it the spot right by the mill?

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Right at the fairgrounds, lots of bank spots available.