Tried my luck again Thursday night

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loki1982, Sep 17, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    So after several dissappointing attempts at fishing over the last month I decided to go all out Thursday night. I took the boat out, took 3 jugs, 4 rods, some perch, and caught fresh shad and some worms.

Baited up the jugs with perch/shad, and baited 2 rods with shad, one a 7 inch shad, one with 3 inch shad, 1 pole with worms and the other a 5 inch perch.

I was fishing starting in 15 foot of water drifting about 300 yard towards a cove. The end depth was 28 foot. I ended with 3 cats (2 channels, 1 blue) that were about 15 inches on the small shad. The large shad had 1 hit that made me believe it was a huge fish but I missed hooking him. Got 1 blue on a jug about 3# but he got off when he got to the surface. Over all I was happy that I caught something, but still kinda dissappointing in the summer time fishing in my lake. Luckly the water temp is dropping fast, was 86ish last weekend and this weekend was about 80-82. And were finally getting some decent rain to refill our lakes. Im just waiting for the Fall bite to start, its my favorite season for blues.

2. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    hope u have good luck with the big blues,,, get pix

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Just curious, but what kind of hooks do you use on your jugs ??

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have been experimenting a bit. We use mostly standard J hooks. But we replaced 5 hooks with circle hooks. The circle hooks seem to outperform.

With 25 J hook and 5 circle hooks we get on average 1-2 fish on the J hooks and 1-2 on the circle hooks. That works out to something like 8% hook up on the J's and 20-40% hook up on the circles.