Tried a little carp fishing today

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by bsu_catfisher, May 1, 2006.

1. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Well for the first time I actually went out fishing for carp. I have caught a couple when catfishing before but never actually went just looking for carp. I had been looking for little tips on here and compiled them and gave it a try today. I used my normal rigging for catfishing...egg sinker...bead..barrell swivel...leader....hook. I used a size 4 eagle claw hook with corn on it. I had not a single bite over about a 2 hour span...but my buddy caught his first carp ever which weighed about 3-5 lbs. It was a good time for him on his light bass tackle that we were using. If anyone has any tips on what we might do I would greatly appreciate it. We are fishign in a small river in Indiana....it's about fifty yards wide and about 6-7 ft deep at this hole I would guess.

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i prefer using my own dough bait mixed with corn and lots of carp scent. scent is the key in it and you gotta fish where there is fish. you coulda had no fish in the area but corn doesnt give off much scent and dough bait does. good luck

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Try to find a large eddy created by a log or a bend in the river. What your basically looking for, is an area that has a lot of mud close to the shore. These areas are where I have the most success in small rivers/large creeks. Also try fishing about an hour before dark when the bugs start to really hatch. This will allow you to find the places where these monsters live, because they'll be jumping like crazy. If one side of the river is close to a road and the other isn't, or one side is much less accessible, get over there and fish 5-10 feet from the shore. They are very spooky fish and they will almost always be on this "less pressured" side. Good luck, and have fun!!!:big_smile:

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I always used bait made out of wheaties. They seemed to like it. Sometimes carp are fun they put up a decent fight.

5. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    When I come back up here for school in the fall I am goign to try dough balls..but corn was just the eaisest for me to use at the time. I know there has been carp in this hole for the past week cuz they have been jumping alot...but today they weren't as much. The one that my buddy caught was actually only about ten feet off of the bank, but it was over a rocky bottom. Thanks for the tips guys...please keep them coming people I really appreciate it.

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i always take a couple cans of corn with me.i take one and throw the corn out in front of me and then i'll take a light jig head [as light as the rod will throw] and cast out and leave some slack in the line. i have my best luck when i set back away from the bank and just keep pitching to the same spot. i made a bait here while back out of spinach i posted about it on here and i think it was called[ do carp like spinash] or something like that. hey it worked but for me corn is hard to beat:smile2:

7. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Corn might not give off much scent but it has proven itself to me time and again in the waters that I fish. But, use what works for you, doesn't matter what it is. Experimentation in the waters you fish, is the key. Find out what they like or don't like. So far, I have never caught a carp on a doughball but I do keep trying them (in different flavors) and ones of my own design.