Tricks to stay warm?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Nov 23, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Planning on going the day after Thanksgiving and this will be my first real trip in the cold. I have some warm clothes and I work outside for a living, but I was curious as to the tricks the veterans have learned that can be very helpful on the water.
    Thanx,

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good rain gear of some sort. Wet clothes of any type even from slingin bait and fish around is not comfortable at all. A pair of goggles or glasses for when ya are movein in the boat also help. Keep the feet warm and wear a good pull over hat. The ones that just expose your face and come down and cover your neck. :wink:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If I can keep my feet warm Im good to go.

4. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    A good pair of insulated boots that keep your feet warm and dry.

Gloves. A good pair for running, and a few extra wooly ones for when you're fishing. I have a pair of the neoprene ones. They get wet, but still stay reasonably warm.

Dress in layers so you can peel stuff off as the day goes on.

Those little hand warmer packs are worth their weight in gold!!

A thermos of hot coffee and some munchies for calories.

I ALWAYS pack a spare set of clothes, in the truck or boat, just in case!

Oh, also WEAR a PFD and use your kill switch, and have a boarding ladder or quick way to get back in, if you're in a boat. Cold water kills quick!!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am nuts for wool clothes. I use wool long underwear, wool pants, wool shirt, wool socks, and a wool scarf my daughter made for me. All this tucked into my columbia insulated hooded coveralls. When I draw down on the hood, it closes to a little slit to see out of. Works well for me

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Those portable heaters are great for cold days..and worth the money

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    An outer shell to keep out the elements and most importantly wind. That can be rain gear of some sort, or windproof garments. Blocking out the wind makes a huge difference.

A good base layer to wick away the perspiration when you're active and yet keep you warm. I use the Under Armour 2.0

I also use the hand warmers, wool socks, and insulated boots. Neck gaiter, and good waterproof gloves.

I still get cold early in the mornings and if I fish into the night. Day time in the winter I'm fine with all the stuff I mentioned above.

8. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to agree with all these guys on the warm weather gear, the rainsuit for wind and the hand warmers, I even put them in my boots at the toes. I agree with the guy that said to keep your feet warm and you should be good. I do have one thing to add about keeping your feet warm, I usually lay something down on the floor of the boat because it gets really cold. I use two pieces of carpet padding glued together but, that just where I'd be sitting, keeping your feet off that cold floor will help greatly. Dress in layers.
    Good luck.:big_smile:

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I fish off the bank, and my last trip , I parked near my set-up, turned on the clickers, reclined the seat in my truck, covered up with a couple of layers ,, and fished!! worked pretty good. The clickers went off, I jumped up and checked it out.
    Had to start the truck once or twice during the night, to warm up a bit, but, managed OK. ,,, and caught some nice flatcats:wink:

10. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    One word.

Beer.:wink:

11. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Goes with out saying! Screw on tops keep you from spilling your adult beverage otherwise know as (alcohol abuse).:angry:
    Great tips guys.

12. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm a big fan of layers -- Long insulating underwear and undershirt, long sleeved t-shirt, sweat shirt, jacket. That way you can add or take off layers if you get too hot or cold. Make sure that the outer layer is waterproof and the inner layer will wick sweat away from your body.

Neoprene gloves are really nice for keeping your hands reasonably warm while still being able to fish. Bass Pro Shop sells some nice ones where the index fingers and thumbs can be pulled back to expose your bare fingers to mess with bait or knots. I usually bring neoprene gloves to wear while fishing and warmer gloves to wear while traveling between spots.

I always take a towel and extra change of clothes with me in a waterproof bag just in case I get myself wet somehow and need to change. It really sucks (and is dangerous) to be stuck in the middle of a deserted winter lake in cold weather with wet clothes.

Oh, and a coozie for your beer so your hand doesn't get cold! :)

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If I'm fishing on the bank I take about half a bucket of sand pour oil in it and have a good fire going

14. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    I do the layer thing,start off with thermos,and end up looking like the kid from A Christmas story.I just bundle up big time,I use them portable heaters as well.I mainly fish power plants so yall know how that fog can get.I also have on some type of wind break,water proof material as last layer.I fish all winter long.trust me you know its cold when you have to dip the end of your rod in the water to thaw out the eyes from the last cast!:big_smile:

15. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i wear layers 3-4 layers depending on how cold. you can always remove a layer.

i'm a fan of fleece clothing, i use fleece thermals(heavyweight) as a base layer.

lightweight or heavy weight fleece pants and jacket as a 2nd layer.

outer layer is always bibs/jacket that is waterproof and windproof. (goretex)

and the usual fleece hat, neorene gloves.

boots are 1000 grams insulated with light or heavy wool socks.

works for me.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great topic, and great replies.
    Bill in SC

17. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Dress in layers and have a wind and water proof outer layer.
    mikeb

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's already been said but layers, layers, layers. I usually like a long sleeved T with a t-shirt over that. Then a hooded sweat shirt and a nice wind proof jacket over that. Pants are sweats with some insulated bibs over that. I have a pair of insulated boots but my feet get colder in them than they do in my work boots:confused2: Also, those hand warmers are the ticket. Also don't know if anyone else does this but a box of vinyl gloves for baiting hooks and retrieving the anchor help keep the hands dry(not nessecarily warm) while you're doing that which helps until you can get your hands back into your gloves or pockets. Also a neck gaiter is a must for me.

19. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    ditto(beer)
    ditto- beer..oh that's right , i already said that!:roll_eyes:...LOL
    I always have that sterns rain jacket on while i'm throwing the cast net for bait, & usually end up leaving it on. A full face wool or knitted pull over mask. (being a painter, i'll also put a "spray sock" on, under that full face if it's really cold. nuthin' can get through that! And i have a small flameless coleman heater-$30.00 wally world special. They're pretty safe (i still keep it away from my gas tank & beer though!!:smile2::smile2:

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    two words...hot hands!!! best thing ever invented:wink: