Trick-or-Treat Kitty Kitty!!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Nov 1, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well instead of getting dressed up like Brittany Spears and scaring the neighbors half to death, I figured I'd head to the river and put a little scare into the Kittys. Specifically those blue ones! :smile2:

With all the talk coming from good 'ol stlcatman aka Ryan, I decided to head to the Mississippi around FlammCity in JeffCo. I launched the boat around 1030am and motored to the Mississippi in search of bait. Didn't have much luck finding quality large sized bait but mananged a few and decided to try my luck. By noon I was anchored in the first hole. One thing I noticed when I anchored in that first hole was that there was a steady wind coming out of the south west with bright sunny skies. Winds out of the south? Haven't we heard a theory about how horrible the bite is with these conditions? Well what I experienced today made me believe that this is no longer a theory but fact! I couldn't buy a bite no matter how much money I had to throw away. I tried deep, shallow, mid, behind dykes, main channel, ledges, slack water, you name it. Nothing, Notta, zilch! :crazy:

I then recieved a call from Ryan (Hi buddy! :smile2:) and he advised me of a hole near a bridge that was supposedly 80 feet deep. So, desperate times call for desperate measures, I headed that way! On my way I caught a spot out of the corner of my eye that I thought would produce some bait, BOY WAS I RIGHT! ONE THROW AND I HAD ABOUT 30 POUNDS OF SHAD! NOT SMALL SHAD, BUT FREAKISHLY LARGE STEROID EATING SHAD!! I have never seen shad that large before! It was unbelievable! That alone was worth the trip!

After picking through the MOUNTAIN of shad and keeping the ones I liked, I continued my journey to the "unknown".

I then located that 80 foot hole, it was 84 feet to be exact! I anchored on a submerged dyke and threw out the lines. Then something mysterious happened, a very dark sky began to appear in the northern sky, with this sky came cold strong winds, out of the NORTH WEST. Then would you believe it, a feeding frenzy began!!!! The kittys finally began knocking at the door for their treats on Halloween!

It was incredible, I watched as my poles continously got slammed! On one occasion, I had a monster hog on. I fought it for about 5-10 minutes and he was getting close to the boat when it took a deep dive for the dyke that I was anchored over! This proved to be a very beneficial thing to do for that fish. That fish was able to get my line into the the razor sharp rocks below the boat and slice free! :sad2: I should have moved the boat back after that, but no, it had to happen, not one more, but TWO more times for me to come to my senses!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

Now that I've lost three really nice fish in less than thirty minutes, I moved the boat off of that razor infested dyke. After that, it was on like Donkey Kong Baby! All the fun continued at a steady pace until about 715pm. Then Trick-or-Treating was over.

All in all we boated 7 fish in about an hours time! Not to mention the three pigs we lost! The biggest fish pulled into the boat was 17 pounds, his belly was absolutely engorged!!! I don't believe I've seen a belly that big before! All the fish were about that size and caught on shad filets. I tried the heads and gutpockets as well but they didn't produce as many bites as the filets did. Figure that one out!

Bottom line_______________________I am a believer in the "wind" theory. SO the next time I decide to head out, I'll be checking the wind direction! Oh who am I kiddin'....I'll be out there anyway! :smile2::smile2:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the story Rat. I can't fish right now but its nice to read about it.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Its good to hear people have a great day like that. Thanks for the story Bill.

4. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Thanks for the story, well told. I'm been busy with slaying ducks and pheasants but I still check this site daily for stories like yours.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A ole timer once told me IF THE WIND IS FROM THE EAST FISH BITE THE LEAST,IF THE WIND IS FROM THE WEST THE FISH BITE THE BEST,IF THE WIND IS FROM THE SOUTH THE BAIT WILL BLOW IN THE FISHES MOUTH...I asked him about the north and he told me to go home its to darned cold unless your a eskimo...doesn't matter to me will be out there to. Good to hear you gettin em

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Bill, sounds like a fun Halloween especially when you found the right house and you located the right kind of candy lol.

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Sounds like you found them Bill.
    My Dad and I went to the Grand River Yesterday. We caught 11 from 1 to 5 lb. We would stop at a good looking spot catch 1 or two then nothing. Move to another spot and 1 or 2. Found a deep hole and it was so stacked up with Asian carp you couldn't hardly get a bait to the bottom. I started looking , not a snag hook in the boat but I can fix that. We also started catching more fish after the wind changed. Good luck .....Rusty.

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good story Bill, I was on the Missouri mid day during the sunny time scouting and just enjoying the river. Only had a few hours to check things out but still enjoy every moment out there. Put in at the blanchette in St. Charles and went up river. I did set up on two spots for about 20 min. each with not even a strike, figured with the front moving in the fishing should change and your report verified it. Found some bait spots, water was still high enough for a few backwater conditions so had to toss out some minnows to see if some river crappie were hang’n around. Well all that I caught was some small mouth bass, wondered what they were doing in some good ole muddy water catfish turf, tossed them back to provide a little extra nourishment to the diet of some real game fish - aka - Mr. Catfish. The wicked wind shifted, barometer was dropping and a big black wall of clouds moving in. Ideal fishing conditions and I had to call it a day but appreciate hearing a report of just how good the bite was. Bill, I would have lost 3 or 4 fish before learning a lesson also, hey with catch and release we just don’t know the weight of the fish we loose so being there during and experiencing an awesome bite over rides any fish lost close to the boat. Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing it.

9. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Way to go Bill! Those big fish around here are smart, they will head for some structure. Glad to hear you guys got into them. Did you every go to the little creek that I told you about for bait or did you find a new spot? Man I think I am going to check the wind for tonight and try to get out there.:big_smile:

10. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    RIVER-RAT tell me you were kidding about the fishing trip. Are you saying that you were fishing and not dressed up as a 250 lb Brittany Spears? At about 7 last night, I gave her (it) 5 lbs of skipjacks, a really big crawdad, and an almost new Sabiki.

Well, it's not the first time i've wasted bait.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Here is a pic of my throw net full of large shad!! If only everytime I threw that darn thing it would come up like this!!:smile2::smile2:

Oh yeah, you can see my "makeshift" anchor that I whipped together with lead and 3/4 inch rebar! That thing is the greatest anchor I've ever used!!

Attached Files:

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That is one heck of a catch. I get about that many sometimes in throw on the lake. Cept they are only about 3 inches long haha. :smile2:

That's the one and only, Wal-mart "easy throw cast net" isn't it? Same as mine.:big_smile:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Yes it is!!!! I can't for the life of me throw those other nets :angry:
    It's like watching a monkey f a football when I try to throw one of those other nets! JUST PLAIN WRONG!! :smile2::smile2:

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Haha!! The guys fishing with you get tired of dragging you back in the boat when you get wrapped up in those other nets and fall in huh.. lol :smile2:

15. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    wow, good score!! That one looks like it might be a state reccord or somethin...:wink:

16. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Somehow I keep getting this image of dressed like Britney out there fishing for the kitties! :wink:

17. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    with fishnet stockings? HA!!

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's a beautiful image isn't it? :smile2:

19. TccaJack

TccaJack New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds like fun my fater in law and i went out also saw the hole weird cloud and wind change we also started catchin more fish after that are biggest was only 7.2 though but we had about 25 total

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice work Mr Rat. Enjoyed talking to you tonight and hearing your story. I thought about your line on the way down to orlando tonight, and I really think you got a batch of the old Power Pro. It might explain why you got it so cheap. If the line doesnt have a nice sheen to it, it is more than likely the old stuff. The new power pro has almost a shiny appearance to it, and it holds up well against abrasion. Sorry you lost a big one. Nonetheless, congrats on a great trip on the river, and thanks a million for sharing it with us.