Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided I'd run up one of the little tributary rivers yesterday and catch a few white bass and maybe hang into a striper also. Brought fifteen skipjack I'd caught earlier in the week to cut bait for striper and catfish. Took about twenty minutes and I had enough of the white bass to have a decent mess to eat.

Headed a few hundred yards down river to spotlock above where the channel comes up into the shallow flats. Depth here was anywhere from 10-15ft all the way up till you got into the shoals. I casted four rods out the back making sure to cover that flat well. Didn't take but a minute and had a eater size on. Was going to keep a few so he went on the stringer. I'd say ten minutes went by and the far right rod buried with drag stripping. I thought for sure from the way it took off it was a striper but to my surprise was a pretty decent ole bluecat. Got him in the boat, snapped a picture and put him back.

Later that day I was reeling another eater size in and had what I would assume was a giant flathead grab it while I was reeling the fish in. Out of the blue the rod buried and drag was pulled for a good five seconds then it was gone. Sure enough when I got the fish in they was a bite mark two inches below the dorsal fin down the fish. I'd just liked to have seen it, had to be a brute grabbing a 5lb catfish like that. Will fish that spot again with live bait the next trip.

Ended up with twenty or so fish caught this trip, one good fish and used up all fifteen skipjack. Brought a few eaters home for my neighbor and kept a couple for myself. Just never know what's lurking in these little rivers, the one I fished might have been 100-125 yards wide in the widest sections.

As always here's a few pictures for you guys. I'll even post up a cooler full of skipjack I went and caught Wednesday morning. Had 150 skipjack in a few hours. My buddy and I won't be hurting for bait anytime soon.
Water Vertebrate Lake Body of water Fisherman

Water Vertebrate Boat Lake Fisherman

Vertebrate Mammal Grey Food Fish

Product Automotive tire Plant Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brandon,
Have you got your BIG live baits ready for this weekend??

...W
Not for sure if I'm going to make a trip down this weekend or not. If I do it'll probably be Sunday and depending on how much rain we get might not be able to fish that area due to the current that far up. But still got some places down river I can hit.

Last day I was out the shell cracker was moved up and caught a few nice ones. Biggest being 10.5 inches and that size make dandy live bait but that trip I was going after a mess to eat.

Got to get my place and my parents mowed today and my garden put out before the rain tonight; another hobby of mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts