Tri-hull overhaul!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by RamRod, May 10, 2006.

1. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just want some thoughts and suggestions on getting this boat ready for cattin! I'm letting the floor dry out after I gutted the whole boat. Was thinking of putting in some 3/4" treated plywood on top then carpet. Any suggestions or improvements will be gladly accepted.

Attached Files:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal opinion is the way your suggesting, your going to a lot of trouble for a temporary fix. I believe the treated plywood will have a very high moisture content, which may induce more rotting on the boat decking you have left. Carpet, on top of the plywood, will also cause the plywood to rot... of course it will not be an overnight process, but it will eventually have to be replaced. I think I'd try some marine plywood, covered by fiberglass. This will give the floor added strength and waterproofing to boot. You can carpet over the fiberglass. I think I'd run two or three applications of fiberglass cloth on top of the flooring. Oh, by the way, make sure the stringers at the bottom of the boat are sound. This is what gives the hull its strength. If the stringers are rotten, they need to be replaced. It will take hours of more elbow grease and more greenbacks out of the wallet, but once finished, your boat will be sound. I'm sure other brothers will soon be here to give you their advice. Listen to all of it, then pick the manner you want to proceed with, and do it.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Johnny, Look in the boat threads, This type of repair has been discussed to great lengths, I have rebuilt a 67 skibarge and let me tell you it takes a ton of time and a tad of money, More time than money for sure. As for Carpet, Cat slime, Bait left overs etc.etc. matts it up making it hard to clean and keep clean. I agree that treated plywood is not the way to go, to much moisture and once glassed over with Epoxy (not fiberglass resin) that moisture will induce rot. Fiberglass resin like you buy at your local store Ie. Walmart etc.... is not water proof, your boat, my boat and a million other older boats is proof of this. Its why your floor is rotted out. I am sure that Mark J and others will chime in here shortly. anything you need to know can be answered right here by folks thats been there and done that. One more thought comes to mind, you said 3/4". That will be very heavy, 1/2 epoxied both sides should suffice. Just a thought. Good luck with your project. Mac

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The reason for using 3/4" plywood over 1/2" is due to the people I will have in the boat. I'm not a lightweight myself and my concern of using 1/2" is that it will bow in the center where there's no support. Also I considered marine grade plywood but the price is out of the question. I always thought treated plywood shouldn't rot anyway, maybe I'm wrong. Also I hadn't planned on putting any resin or fiberglass over the wood since I'll be putting waterproof glue all over the side the carpet will be on. Hopefully my thinking is ok on this. Let me know otherwise.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That 3/4 treated ply will never dry out. Can you imagine what that piece would weigh in a year or two with water being trapped in it?

Look at the work you've already invested in the project and you have a long way to go yet. I would do a permanent repair with the proper materials and be done with it forever. I'd rather be fishing then cutting out rotten soggy plywood for the second or third time.

The term waterproof is used real loosely in fastening materials.
    Especially in glues. Most at best are water resistant.
    Even if the glue is waterproof the meaning of it is that water will not break it down or destroy the adhesion properties. That does not mean it will not soak up water or allow water to pass through it. Even fiberglass resins like Polyester resin used in boat building allow the passage of water or water vapor.

1/2 inch ply is plenty with some glass and adding a cleat or two for support is a piece of cake. Easier then cutting the plywood to fit the hole.

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All the info. is much appreciated! Keep em coming!

7. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    In the hull I redid, I used 3/8" untreated plywood. It was completely encapsulated with epoxy for waterproofing. In the hull I had properly placed stringers for support, and filled between the stringers with marine foam for additional support. The floor does not sag, especially after being covered with epoxied 6oz fiberglass cloth. I am a decent sized guy at 235 and I am completely confident that the floor has plenty of strength.

I am with Mark J. Just spend the money and work the first time and have a boat that will last longer than you will.

Also don't forget that the floor on those fiberglass boats is structural. Most times the strength of the entire hull relies on the stiffness provided by having the plywood fiberglassed to it all the way around.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks again guys. I'm going with the 1/2" plywood and put several stringers across the center.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I finally finished my boat project. Here's some pictures!

Attached Files:

10. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a few more pics! It definitely turned out great!

Attached Files:

11. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Real Real Real nice job on the make over. That carpet job look professional. Now your ready to get some fish slime in the carpet.:big_smile:

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Terry, much appreciated. It took a lot of long hours and hard work, but in the end it was worth it. My hand was getting numb from wrapping the carpet and stapling so much.:lol:

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Johnny: It look like a different boat, great job, It should make a good cat boat, I like the open room and tall sides for a cat boat. Thumbs up.

Danny

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Danny, much appreciated!:smile2:

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey Johnny, you did a great job fixing your boat up. A fine "Cattin" boat for sure my friend!

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Wow, Great job on the redo... I hope mine looks 1/2 as good as yours once I finally get it finished... right now its still in the cleaning out stage... hopefully i can get it up to the rebuilding stage with in the next month or so and then eventually get it out on the water by january... (looking forward to some 30#+ blues coming in on it... :big_smile: )

17. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    ramrod thats something to be proud of their brother great job:big_smile:

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks again guys, I'll be bringing it to the national gathering to hopefully catch some big cats!

19. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Was wondering if the mods could copy the before and after pics of my boat and paste in the member boat pics area of the site?

20. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We did repairs/rebuilds on our site as projects in the past... One tip we got from a reader was after he had it all done and he went with treated plywood that he also coated with thompsons water seal for a few days... instead of carpet, he went with the Rhino lining spray they put in truck beds... Water tight, strong and easy to clean...