tri angular barrels!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by chambers bd, Jul 29, 2009.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,

Any body heard of these barrels seen them on a BASS PRO advertisement!

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    hee hee, bass pro!:smile2:

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive heard of em but dont know squat about em. Just seems like a fancy bull barrel to me, if that. Maybe the flat bottom holds its balance better? They do look cool though.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Thats pretty cool looking, however i wouldn't pay extra for it. Looks like they just took a bull barrel and shaved it down on 3 sides.

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    That's exactly what they've done. Looks cool, handles like a regular sporter barrel Remington 700. There must be something to it though, I've not heard anything bad about the guns. On another forum I belong too, there are quite a few guys that have bought them and they say they are getting really fine accuracy with both factory ammo and handloads. They are posting pics of some nice groups too.

I think that they're neat, but I wouldn't pay the premium for one of the guns.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The objective is to increase the barrels surface area while lightening the barrel without compromising its integrity, same deal as spiral or straight ball milled grooves on some barrels. This adds ridgity and more cooling surface area and reduces weight.

7. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I'd like to actually measure a barrel and compare the difference. After all, a straight line is the shortest way to get from point A to point B. I'd think that the regular bull barrel would actually have more surface area than the triangle, due to the curvature of the barrel.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes it is, but you forgot to figure in the weight savings. Take a 1" bull barrel and turn it down to match the weight of the triangular barrel and you will have a straw that will whip on every shot, and the surface area will be less than that of the triangular barrel. They are trying to to market a rifle barrel that is as stable as a bull/target barrel but is packable for the hunter.

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    That's absolutely correct, of course. Perhaps the triangular barrel is going to be the perfect compromise between weight and accuracy, that serious shooters have been looking for?:cool2:

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Seems pretty neat looking but that extra cost seems like a waste tho imo.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i wonder if the triangular barrel has better harmonics than a round barrel. all in all, the 700 is a solid action.