tresspassing

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by flathunter, Sep 28, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This kinda goes along with my other thread about getting permission to fish.

I remember many years ago, when I was like 15 or 16, me and my buddies would just fish anywhere we wanted, never even thought about asking for permission..that was over 30 years ago, even tho it was not right, I dont think people cared as much..Plus there was not a house every 100 yds along the river I fish.

But I remember when I was around 17, fishing one night, and something just did not feel right.

I kept looking over my shoulder for someone to come and run me off, I guess I was growing up:smile2:

Since that day, I dont think I have ever been on someones land that did not know I was there.

Plus fishing is alot more relaxing without worrying about getting caught:big_smile:

But I do wish there was more public access areas for bank fishermen, on our public rivers.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack for the very reason you mentioned,"Looking over your shoulder." I have never hunted or fish on ones property without permission. Also feel the same about not having hunting or fishing license. Those are problems I don't need.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree on the license thing also Mickey, I feel it is a very small price to pay to get all the enjoyment that you get.

But I will admit this, I always buy my fishing license the first day they come on sale for the new year.

About 6 years ago, my dad was sick and I did not get them on that day, in fact I forgot to buy them:crazy::crazy:

Did not even realize it untill the next year...I felt bad about that

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    As a landowner I have had a running battle for years with trespassers. But also a couple years ago I was busted for trespassing. A club I am a member of has 3 tracks of property leased from Mead Paper. Another group has a lease that runs alongside ours. The boundries are not marked and no one has proper gps numbers. I was calling Fox /Coyote and knew I was close to the line but thought and still think I was on our place. A guy from other club called me in and while deputy was talking to us the president of other club comes along and got it droped. Really without surveying the place no one will ever know if I was right or wrong.
    Also being what the Ohio laws are. Technecially I and everyone else who fishes most of the Scioto River from a boat trespasses everytime we drop anchor or tie off to a limb. :sad2::crazy:

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was like you in my younger days Jack...... I could run fast carrying gear so I didn't much care and fished and hunted most anywhere I wanted. But I know better now.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I won,t do any actual tresspassing on private land,but I will on ocassion cross over RR tracks where they don,t allow you to so I can get to public water.Agree with you that we need more access to the public rivers!:wink:

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i feel the same as mickey on this one, i hate feeling like i have to look out for the game warden. im like Jack, i buy my license the first of the year and i buy the sportsman's package in my home state so that i am covered no matter what i want to do. if i am going to hunt in that state later in the year i will usually do the same in WV. like it has been said, it is a small price to pay for the enjoyment. plus the fines would way out weigh the price of a license and the hassle of being nervous all the time.

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there is a spot I fish that technically would be trespassing, but I really don't know who owns what to ask. I fish it and so do others, so for now, I feel ok.

There was a place I thought was State owned I used to fish. Well one night, my father and I were fishing and here comes a 4 wheeler. the guy saw us and pulled over angrily asking if we had permission to be there. I told him I thought it was State property and didn't think I needed permission. He told me he owned the property and that the State's line was about 50 yards away. I immediately apologized and told him we would leave. He told me we could fish there, but that he didn't want anyone else to be in there. He was ok since he knew what I was doing and told me how he has had problems with people going on his property dumping trash and what not. We Thanked him and apologized some more. I even stopped at his house one day I saw him outside just to touch base with him. We talked for a little while and he thanks me for stopping by.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was muskie fishing up in WV on time and we were on the bank near some state land and there was a small construction company that butted up to it. we had spoken with the man that owned it before and he had seen us fishing there and didnt mind us as long as we stayed down by the bank and didn't get in the way of his work. he actually allowed us to park in the parking lot at the end of his lot. anyway, one fall afternoon we heard someone yelling at us and we looked up to see the DNR officer. he asked us to come up and he checked our licences and told us why he was even out that way. someone had called and reported us for trespassing. come to find out it was the Daughter in-law of the man that owned the property. he asked if we were parked there and some other questions. long story short, she was not the property owner, and was not left in charge of the property and in WV it is against the law to call the DNR or Police out if you are not responsible for the property or on someone that has permission to be there (at least that is what i gathered from the officer). Because we had permission to be there and we werent breaking any laws the officer actually asked us if we wanted to press charges on her for harassment and what ever the other charge was for calling him. we declined of course, because we didn't want to start trouble. Come to find out a few weeks later we ran into the old man again and she had divorced his son and was starting trouble every way she could. we had just got caught in the crossfire.

I thought it would kindly go along with the topic at hand.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    'Bout two years ago I found out that some folks I know had become "power of attorney" over a spot I have been fishing for 25 years. If I had known these folks were related, I could have had permission 23 years ago! LOL!!

Kind of weird to know that know I am the only one allowed to be down there now. I still look over my shoulder for the old man with the shotgun!

11. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I have permission to hunt/fish a piece of property off of a smaller river. We used to farm part of the property yrs ago. The problem is that there is an old dirt road that runs all the way through it to the river. The road is privately owned and has signs up all over it saying so. Apparently the signs are invisible because there are people back there all the time tearing up the road and dumping trash and other stuff. When the old man that owned it was still alive he would have me call the game wardens every time I caught somebody back there. In Indiana the land owner has to be willing to show up in court before they will do anything. Now that he has passed away his wife doesn't want to go through the trouble of going to court so now everybody is back on the property again. I have had people try to run me off recently! It sucks because as soon as deer season comes in I will have a bunch of people sneaking into the place and I won't be able to do a durn thing about it. :angry:

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you need to talk to markJ, he has some interesting ways of dealing with trespassers.

13. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Here in Pa,on the schuykill river,alot of folks talk about the maritime & nautical laws from the 1800's that are still supposedly on the books.From what I read in the paper a long time ago,the law states,it is legal to tresspass to hunt,fish,camp,etc. a distance of 20 feet from the waters edge.Alot of guys take advantage of this with hunting moreso than fishing.Nobody seems to mind fisherman on the river,hunting is a different story.I don't know if this pertains just to the major rivers that drain into the ocean or all pennsylvania inland waterways.I only ever had to talk myself out of one tresspassing citation,while fishing(got caught crossing abandoned train bridge to fish the good side)The sections I fish, if you lay low when crossing the rr tracks & watch where you park,nobody will bother you

14. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    My dad told me a long time ago people get shot and/or killed over land. So, I don't trespass on individuals land.

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Use to when i was growin up, ground wasn't posted and for the most part folks didn't care if ya hunted or fished. But i also realized quick the time to ask permission, isn't when a guy is mad and runnin you off. Now days, i won't step on another guys place without first asking. It's just common courtesy.

16. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i agree. usually if u just be polite and go ask they dont have a prob. i have a few places i go that is private ponds. i always give them fish if i catch any and a few times we have sit down and ate supper together. of course it was fish. lol:big_smile: its not worth the trouble to get in trouble over a piece of dirt. sometimes i wish it was in the 1800s still so we could all share.:wink:

17. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Yea it is not hard to ask someone for permission and if they say no well on to somewheres else. I do agree that there needs to be more public fishing access but you also have to remember with more access there is also more trash left more people that are not the kind you want to be around etc. Before I sold my place in the country I would chase off tresspassers all the time almost on a daily baises and my place was posted with signs. I even had a guy tell me one time he had permission from the owner to fish tehre I said oh you do he said yea I said well funny I never seen you before. It is a pain to keep them out and sometimes almost make the land owner the criminal to try to enfoce the laws. If a person ask's and shows respect to the land owner it will just about insure a place to go for a long long time.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well your tresspassin all the time you just dont know it, you realy cant bank fish much wthout tresspasing, they got to have sighns posted every 50 feet to prosecute, i dont think i know of a spot besides a few that are public areas,but never trespass near a nuke plant thats a class 1 feloney up to 30 years in prison, fedral prison, just be carful its not like it was ,the world is changing, :angry:

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not saying go tresspass just saying anytime you walk down a river its tresspassing, or if your in a boat and get out its tresspassing, so thats what im talking about, we used to sneak into ponds and run like heck wen the old man came out lol, but that was ok we were juvanil lol:smile2:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can make someone not want to trespass on your land.
    The best understanding you can give a trespasser is by going through his wallet.
    Take his tree stands, flatten his tires, have him towed, and getting all 4 tires on that 4 wheeler at the same time. Not with some 8 penny nail, use BIG nails.
    Run down the side of his truck with a shovel point.

He'll get the point.