Trend started

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ka_c4_boom, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i started a space saving trend at the ramp i was waiting in line with about 15 boats to launch , the ramp was wide enough for two but the two boats that were ahead of me opted to take up the entire ramp so i pulled as far to the left as i could when i launched and directed the next guy to go to the right after parking my truck and returning my boat i noticed the rest of the boaters alternating in an organized manner right , left , right , left and so on

you know when everyone works together even a bad day of fishing seems better

i cant stand ramp hogs , can you ?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Thanks for the post.... I'm the same way....the lack of mentality at the launch ramp never ceases to amaze me.....

glad to see you got time from work to get out....

bayrunner ray....

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charles I agree with your post. I can't stand Ramp Hogs. I have seen some people back their boats down the middle of the ramp and then decide to transfer all their food and gear from the back of their trucks to the boat. If you have fished a while, you have come in contact with all kinds. Sometimes you have to show people how its done.:big_smile:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't back a trailer very often, nor very good, so I'm sure that when I do, I clog things up.:crazy: But most folks know what they are doing, and choose to get in the way.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if you dont back very often then maybe you should practice more , driving forward is easy for most , so instead of pulling into the spot you normally park your boat at the house back it in . practice makes perfect but even i need more practice

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have learned to launch and load my boat quickly by myself, and even faster with help.

To launch by myself, I prepare for the launch off the ramp, putting in the plugs, removing the bow strap and stern clamps, transferring the cooler from the truck, etc. Then I tie a 30 foot long 1/4" line to the bow of the boat and the other end to the trailer.

When It's my turn, I back down the ramp in the vacant lane until the boat floats free of the trailer. I drive forward, pulling the trailer out from under the boat and stop on the ramp. I get out, untie the 1/4" line from the trailer and retie it to the launch dock. Then I drive the rig to the parking area, park and lock, then return to the boat.

It's even easier to load... back down the ramp until the trailer is in position, get in the boat and drive it onto the trailer. Hook up and tighten the bow strap and drive up the ramp to the parking area to prepare the boat to travel.

If I have help, I stay in the boat while my partner backs the trailer down the ramp. I then drive the boat onto the trailer and maintain power while my partner pulls slowly forward up the ramp. I shut down the engine before the prop comes out, power trim up and wait for my partner to park. Minimum time on the ramp. The weight of the boat keeps it in position on the trailer until bow strap and stern clamps can be attached.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a boat, but no trailer and I don't pull it. When I go with a buddy, I do the backing so I can get practice. I just don't have it down perfect yet. If I owned a boat like the people you describe, I would definantly be proficient at backing it up. I am getting better as long as I take it slow.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    And here I thought you were talking about the early trend of guys in 35K Bass Boats being jerks. I was at a local lake yesterday mainly to field test my new 9000 and 11ft pole :big_smile:. I casted out pretty good distance but here comes this b#$@#$ right across my line. I was soooo wanting to snag him but he was able to thrwart that. I was thinking of reeling in and chucking it at him, even I could have hit him.