Treelining and/or Trotline in Falls Lake, NC

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by dozer, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dozer

dozer New Member

State:
    NC
    Can you tree line or trot line in Falls Lake? If so what areas would be best explored for best shot at some big un's ?

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Which Falls lake are you talking about. The near Raliegh or the one below Badin lake.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    It depends on what Falls lake your talking about. The one near raliegh or the one below badin lake

4. dozer

dozer New Member

State:
    NC
    I am referring to the falls lake near Durham NC. I am keeping a boat at rollingview marina.

5. dozer

dozer New Member

State:
    NC
  6. TrapperMike

TrapperMike New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    looking at the NC regulation digets only exceptions is the impound sandhills game lands ,designated public moutain trout waters ,or in Cheoah lake .and In lake waccamaw unlawfull to use troutlines or set hooks from may 1 to sept 30th. i would duble check what ever county that lake for any posable local laws ,but you should be good to go. looks like

7. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    Not sure about any special regulations on the lake, but I can say, have your ducks in order... the wardens there come in bunches !!! also one told us there was a new shad posession limit on the lake and its tributaries, but I couldn`t find it in the regulation digest anywhere. Also I`m not sure what kind of cats you`re going after but mainly what I`ve heard is channels and white cats in there, but looks like it would be great for flatheads but never have caught any there. GOOD LUCK :cool2:

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I couldn't tell ya but just be sure you're within the law b/c if you're not it'll be the time you run into the warden:wink:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure hope if your after eaters your targeting the smaller cats. It just takes too darn long for cats to get to the larger sizes. We have a lake in Oklahoma I have heard about recently. Had a bunch of 40+ flatheads. Word got out about the big ones, now the lake don't have very many large (10+) cats in it. If we don't protect the fisheries, they won't be there long.

10. screamin clicker

State:
    I wish NC would do something statewide about size limits, on blues and flatheads.... maybe something like 1 of each species over 30 inches to keep the biggest fish in the lakes and rivers :wink:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I wish NC would do something statewide about size limits, on blues and flatheads...."

We will never see a limit on the harvest of flathead catfish in North Carolina.

12. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Afew years ago if you told people there would be size restrictions placed on bluecats from Badin or Norman, you would of got laughed at. We started that ball rolling and look where it got us. We have just have to try harder for flatheads. In my mind thier too much of a trophy fish. not to protect. Just like one day we'll whip out the neanderthals of the catfishing world. Time and patience will win out.

13. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    It'd probably be better to go to the source of the regs -www.ncwildlife.org or call them vs asking people on a website.

14. screamin clicker

State:
    We will never see a limit on the harvest of flathead catfish in North Carolina.[/quote]

Yes. Wyliecat and thats the shame of it... such a fierce fighter and people where i fish, jug them and blues ( HUGE ones) out of Kerr lake everyday, atleast Va. put a limit on the blues, just wish NC would do the same for my favorite lake. :sad2: Its sad to see or hear about someone taking fish out that are sometimes 60lbs plus !!! CPR

15. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    In my opinion we all together as the BOC have enough voices and I think that our voices need to be heard on this topic. I know that we all have constitutional rights, however it shouldn't include placing 100 limbline on a 100 yard stretch of the river. Here on the Cape Fear, on any given weekend between Riverside lauch and the train trussel which is only about 2 miles or so, you can go through that stretch and see several hundred limb lines. In my opinion this is ridiculous, and the majority of the people I've seen doing this, sell the fish, which is illegal. Through limblining, and bush hooks, the population of the catfish in these areas of the river have been decimated, when a good nite now consists of catch 5 to 10 fish, when it use to be catch 30 or more. I'm not saying that limbling should be illegal, however we need to get catfish considered a game species, and have creel, and size limits placed on all of our catfish. I don't know about other areas, but if these actions continue in 10 years or so there won't be many fish for our children to catch. I personally hate eating fish, and I release all of my fish after I take a picture. I just firmly believe that we must get legislation enacted mandating creel, and size limits. I firmly believe that through the BOC our voices can be heard and hopefully legislation will be enacted in order to preserve our fisheries.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree with you that all 3 major species of catfish should be considered gamefish, and should have responsible limits that are enforced. It also seems reasonable to have a reasonable limit on the number of jugs, limblines, and trotlines a person can use. Please notice I used the word reasonable. It's as unreasonable to have a limit of 5 jugs as it is to have a limit of 100 jugs. Arkansas allows 20 jugs per person, which seems reasonable; a similar limit on limblines seems reasonable to me, but there's no limit here.