Tree stands

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by misterwhisker, Nov 20, 2008.

what type of tree stand do you have

1. climber

2. ladder stand

3. fixed

4. build in home made

5. a few listed above

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    what kind of tree stand do you have?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a summitt climber and an API lock-on. I like the lock-on best actually except for putting my steps on the tree. During rifle season i usually strap it chest high and just hop up on it. Good padded seat and i can stand and move without makin rackett. I hunted out of wood stands for ages but got scared of tannic acid eating the nails up and end up fallin.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i only use ladder stands pretty much all the time after a friend died in an accident with a climber slipping on him and he hung upside down and suffocated. then a week later i was in a hickory in my summit viper climber and the cable broke on the bottom half as i was climbing and i had to bear hug the tree and slide down [that hurt :sad2:] i threw that stand in the scrap pile and sold my other climber at an auction... i have been a ladderstand or ground hunter ever since! :smile2:

4. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I have used all the stands on the list, but the ones I like the most are hang on with climbing sticks. I even took my 2 climbers and made them fix stands with climbing sticks.

After the season I go and get the seats and put them up and loosen the straps on the stands and the sticks to allow for tree growth, and come deer season I go around replace the seats and strap every thing down.

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i probably should have added blinds to that list cause i dont take the boys in tree stands, but we do have several blind locations :wink:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt four farms, two of which are family owned. Collectively my brother and I have 30 plus stands scattered around. All are quality Ladder stands and permanent salt treated stands we build. After a spot has consistantly produced for four or five years we build massive tacky hotel accomodations in the air on four 6 x 6 legs. Definitely big enough to camp out in all day out of the weather.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    aint much better than hunting than out of a sky box!!:wink:

8. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I use ladder stands,but my favorite is a homemade
    stand with a few boards in the fork of a tree.
    We hunt on the family farm and now have every good spot
    covered with stands.I just let the wind direction tell me
    what one to get into.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a Grand Slam Climber the most but I have a few chain on stands, two ladders, a couple other climbers, and an API ground blind also.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Built one. I much prefer a ground blind (home built with what I find where I am at) but where I am hunting now I have to get some altitude.

I have to have some room to move around, that is all there is to it. The old bod just will not take being in the same position for too long.
    My "home built" has plenty of room.:big_smile:

No sense being uncomfortable while you are sitting in the cold, rain, wind, and snow!!:wink::smile2::smile2:

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used a climber when I was in the MO ozarks. One stand and you could use just about any oak tree you wanted to use cause they all seemed to be pretty straight up and down. Here in Kansas, the perfect tree is a little harder to find. I've been using hang on stands that I bought from sportsman's guide. Check out their guide gear stands, they are a pretty good deal and I've liked them. I especially like how they have the ratchet straps.

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i've always used climbing stands. i have 3 that i use, but the one that got stolen 2 years ago was my fav. it was a treelounger, comfortable and safe.
    chip

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a summit goliath , it`s made for the big guys.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have some of all of the above mentioned. Hunting in the Appalachian Mtn. I like the H.S. Strut burlap blind material . I think it comes 56" X 12' find a shoulder strap off an old bag or piece of rope and a couple of bungies to use for carrying and set up purposes.You have one of the most versitile blinds on the market or in the woods. I love hunting out of a blind and the ones you buy are next to impossible to set up in a thicket or on a steep hill side.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im becoming more and more of a ground blind hunter. Cold, windy, snowy or wet days are much easier in a blind. I also have a wooden ladderstand, I rebuild it every 5 years whether it needs it or not. I also have 3 metal ladder stands that are seeing less action every year. I dont use the climbers though, ive known two people who have fallen due to foot straps breaking.

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I bought two pieces of those this year, the kind with Realtree camo and the holes cut in it to look like 3-D camo. They easily fit in a small camo back pack I got at Wal-Mart for $4. I carry a pill bottle of those bulletin board tacks and a couple small bungee cords that allow me to set up a good blind almost anywhere. The holes in them allow me to dress it up with leaves, branches, ferns, or whatever. I think I'll be doing a lot more ground hunting from now on.

17. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never had much need for having something in front of me. Just some thing behind me to break my outline. Big tree, small tree with some branches propped up against it, a bush, round hay bail. That kind of thing.

My favorite, and most productive, ground blind was just a 20 " tree on a hillside that I had large branches propped against. Refresh the branches once a year as they rotted, and it was good for at least one deer a year for the 8 years I hunted that property.

Had a couple "friends" try to snake me on that spot but they could never spot the blind. Oh, I am sure they saw it, just never realized what it was.:wink::big_smile:

18. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have a area that my son and i hunt, over 100 ac. we have several tree stands one of them is a dbl stand where we have our deefeeder and blocks out. I also have a doghouse pop up blind i use quite regulary in a area i don't feel a tree blind would be safe, Flood plain area, I have been real productive in this area it is a narrow spot where the deer funnel through or go up the hill into my son's tree stand, We have been moving stands around all year so not to have the deer spooked from any one area, and my deer feeder timer went out last week so this week looks like i will be hand spreading the corn till i get it back form remingtion, this is the 3rd time the timer went bad not a happy camper here.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It is amazing how close deer will get if you have them set up right. The ones I have are burlap material and you can see right through it. I just roll mine up and use 2 bungees and a shoulder strap off an old purse my wife thew away to transport mine. On cold windy days they make a great wind break as well as blind. There has been many days I would have been sitting at the house if not for that feture.

20. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I shot a deer with my bow a few years ago from less than 10 feet. I draped the material over a blown down tree next to a trail where deer entered a heavy thicket. It was so close, the deer kicked dirt and leaves in my face when the arrow hit her. LOL