Tree Stands

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 16, 2007.

What type of Deer stand do you use?

1. Home Made

2. Ground Blind

3. Hang-on

4. Climber

5. Ladder

6. Tripod

7. Box Blind

8. Other-natural cover

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to make my own stands, climbers and chain-on, and they worked real well. They are a little heavy since I made them out of steel instead of Alum., but I didn't have to carry them very far and left them up all year. Although I still use a couple ladder stands for scouting, and have a few other climbers and hang-on's, a few years ago I switched to an API Grand Slam after several of my stands got stolen (I always take it out with me when the hunt is over). The Grand Slam is great. It's as comfortable as an arm chair, easy to carry up & down these Virginia mountains, and very stable. I like climbers because they are so much easier to set up and move when sign changes. I've sat in mine for 12 hours before with no problem. What kind of stand, if any, do you use? Check all that apply!!!

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I voted for hang on as thats what I use the most for bow hunting. Climbers are too hard for me to find a tree with out limbs in the right location to use. I do like a ladder stands also for areas where the hang on wont work well, but there heavy and hard to put up.
    For rifle I hunt on the ground and use a ground blind.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've got three API's, a Cabelas lounger, and two new Rivers Edge Bigfoot stands. For bowhunting turkeys, I've got an Outhouse and Doghouse blind.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Of the 8 on the poll i use 5 of them and the poll actually let me vote for all 5:cool2:.

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Bow season I use an climber. and during gun season I use ladder stands.

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    it all depends i guess. i have a climber that i still use and have had it for a long time. (grand ol' man) i use ladder stands on some of our more traditional deer funnels, natural cover when i really want to check out something diff. and ground blinds/elevated shooting houses over food plots. i really dont have a fav..... well yeah i do. i like ladder stands, because on those real cold clear mornings after the sun comes up, it feels so good to climb down lean against the tree and.......pass out.

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Would this be considered an elevated shooting house. My wife calls it my secound home. I built this a few years ago for my 65 year old hunting partner with 4 acres of food plots on either side for him to hunt, I"am an stand hunter myself. He said he was getting to old to hunt.

Attached Files:

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I got a Gerber folding limb saw for Christmas a few years ago that I carry in my fanny pack. It is razor sharp, (I cut myself the first day I had it) and it will cut branches up to 3 inches in diameter in seconds. It's great for trimming as I go up a tree with my climber or for cutting shooting lanes. If there are branches in the way that I can't reach from the stand, I will lock it at 90 degrees, tie it to my 1/4 inch nylon hoist rope, and pull the branches closer so I can cut them.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Tree lounge
    Its the best system I have come across, very nice its a all day stand.:big_smile:

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I use a hang-on most of the time. I do also use climbers and blinds, both natural and a pop-up. It all depends on the type of terrain and size of trees that are available.

11. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    it all depends i guess. i have a climber that i still use and have had it for a long time. (grand ol' man) i use ladder stands on some of our more traditional deer funnels, natural cover when i really want to check out something diff. and ground blinds/elevated shooting houses over food plots. i really dont have a fav..... well yeah i do. i like ladder stands, because on those real cold clear mornings after the sun comes up, it feels so good to climb down lean against the tree and.......pass out.

? pass out? im not even gonna ask

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use several different kinds. I actually always hunted in natural cover until the last few years. The most we we do is cut up a few pieces of 2" wood about 20" long and fasten a few together for a flat place to stand. Plus one or two to help you climb up.

I now hunt in an elevated platform that is about 10' up and about 4' square at the top. I have a swivel seat up there that I really like. Plus it gives the bottom half of my body wind protection since the sides are all covered.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have 3 ladders, which I use on my permanet farms, I have 5 cheap hang ons, of different sizes which I use on public land, if I am filming a hunt, and for places that I hunt which people tresspass on. Most of these stands I have less than $50 invested in, that way if it gets stolen, I'm not out that much. I had an API Baby grand with API sticks stole from me a couple of years ago, and I don't want that to happen again!:confused2: That wasn't a cheap setup! I also have a climber, and two ground blinds for different situations.:wink:

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have a Summit "Viper", one of the older heavier units. Made my own for years, an can't believe I didn't kill myself. Never ever used a safety harness.
    :eek:oooh:

Now the question is how high? I think the critters are getting wise to us.

I've used a cable lock last couple years, but figure the poachers will have bolt cutters this year, or just chain saw the damn tree down, LOL.

15. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    I use the TimberTall climber that I believe is the Brute model. It weighs 14 pounds and it can be leveled via turning the leveling devices attached to the cables. Sweet to have leveling when you get up the tree and discover you did not have the cable set properly for the height you climbed to.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have 3 ladder stands and I only use 2 of them. I also have a wooden ladder stand that I use the most, its the most comfortable. I also have a ground blind as well as numerous deadfalls that I crawl into and hide. Not to mention the trees that Ill just lean back on and wait.

17. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    When I hunt I use a home made ladder stand.I just don't much.I'm a fisherman at hart.:cool2:

18. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    i make my own ladder stands but as far as a climber goes i use a tree lounge...

19. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, ya can't lock out a thief. I checked my stands on the Wed. before the Saturday opener, a few years ago, and everything was fine. My buddy and I were the only ones that hunted this farm for the last 12 years. I came back before dawn on Saturday morning and 4 of our stands were gone. They were all hang-on's with heavy chain locking them to the trees. Some peckerwood climbed up and cut the locks or chains with an ax and left marks all over the trees. The next season we lost 2 more so we quit hunting there.

20. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i use hang ons mostly but i also use climbers.i have used all of these at one time,and i still actually prefer to use a permanent stand ,i like the idea of going to a stand already there ,all i have to do is climb into it ,no noise, no set up ,just climb in and hunt.