Tree stand styles

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by blindfly69, Aug 1, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what kind of treestands do you all like to use? personally i got a climber and i think its wonderful! Of course it wont fit in some trees but i can move when i need to and i can always get down and try to still hunt...you like ladder stands, climbers or hanging stands?

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its ladder stands or the ground for me. Ive heard and seen of too many people falling from hanging stands and climbers. You can still fall from a ladder stand especially putting it up but I havent seen it and it seems safer to me. Be safe and wear your safety harness no matter what stand your using.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Climbing stand for me. I like the mobility factor. The people falling out of them either don't know how to use them properly or fall asleep in them without safety harnesses.

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive personally seen two instances where one of the foot hold straps gave way on a climbing stand and the guy flip over the top part. Neither one did anything wrong that I can tell, just the foot hold strap gave way throwing off their balance. Both climbers were high dollar stands and were only one or two years old. One was wearing a harness the other one wasnt, both were ok.

Accidents can happen with any stand, just double check your equipment every year and every trip into the woods. And please always wear your safety harness no matter what stand your using, it can save your life.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I like climbing stands with a shooting rail.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I Like Climbing stands for Checking out a Area, but when I decide to hunt there alot------I would want a Ladder stand or a permanent stand with a ladder to get up into it. Randy

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    somethin to watch out with ladder stands is them screw in steps kill the wood in about a 2inch radius....so they rot out....i got some bad stories.....i know someone who climbed about 18 feet and a few treesteps gave out and sent him a tumblin....and my uncle's friend fell asleep without a harness and fell and got paralyzed....

8. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never used any screw in steps with my ladder stands, dont know why you'd use them. Are you thinking lock on stands? I think home made stands are the most dangerous stand there is, whether wood or metal.

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea lol i had a stupid moment....thats something to watch out for using lock ons

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only stand I dont use is the lock on. I have several permanent built stands and 3 ground blind stands that I just fix or add to every year. I have one ladder stand I leave out year round and one climber I leave out year round. Also have a tree lounge that I dont leave anywhere:lol:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I had to give up hunting out of trees. Too old I guess. I just don't feel safe with my lack of balance or reflexes.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a climber. Most of my hunting is on state land and there are too many thieves to leave a stand in the woods.

13. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I Like ladder stands the best but I think the ladder can give away your position sometimes. i would like to buy a big comfy sit and climb stand but i am buying a new bow this year instead and wont have the money after that so I hope to get a climber next year

14. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i use ladder stands and big homemade stands that me and my dad made up in trees