Tree stand or Ground Blind

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Oct 23, 2008.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Okay I have both a climbing tree stand and a ground blind. wondering which one you prefer?

2. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Before my back went out, I was 100% treestand. I can't climb one now though, so after my back blew, I started using ground blinds. Karen and I went to a WMA when we lived in Columbia (SC), and we used "scent destroyer". We had a doe and fawn come within 15 yards of the blind (she is my witness with no pics). That doe and fawn stayed in front of us for 15 minutes! It wasn't doe day, and I wouldn't have shot if it were, as she had her baby, and I will NOT shoot a doe with a fawn by her side. We sat and enjoyed them playing and eating. It was indeed a great day. We came home with no meat, no trophy, nothing but our happiness to be blessed with what we saw.

We now have 32 acres up in northwest SC, and it is a deer haven. When we first bought the land, I came out and walked it many MANY times. I got to know where every hole, every ditch, every tree was, and the deer got use to my scent. I hunted that first year (hunting isn't exactly what I call it which I will explain now)... My back was pretty bad by this time, so I picked out the longest shot that gave the most shooting angles. This is sitting ON the fiber optic pipeline- dead center.

It wasn't 'hunting' at all. It wasn't doe day, so I sat and watched 18 (18!!!) does work the pipeline, and come within 40 yards of me! I had scent destroyer on, but I was in the WIDE OPEN! I could be seen from ANY direction! They simply didn't care that I was there! After sitting for 3 hours, I saw a MONSTER buck come out behind me at the top of the pipleline... I pulled up on him and saw his rack... I couldn't pull the trigger... This deer is HUGE, and he's still here... We went out the other day, and saw his tracks are STILL HERE... This was the day that the police officer was waiting at our car when we got back. Maybe he can pull the trigger on the monster, but I just can't do it... He's beautiful! Or at least he was then.. I've heard, but don't know for a fact that as the deer age, their racks get smaller. I've only seen that deer once since that day, and he was huge then also!

I sat for another hour in the wide open just thinking about what I had just seen, and all of a sudden, a 10 point walks out about 300 yards down. He was walking straight at me, so I had no clean shot... He keeps coming, with me sitting right in front of him... He gets to 150 yards still coming straight at me, and I thought he was gonna get too close, notice me, and bolt...

He didn't... He stops at 125 yards, stands there for probably 15 seconds, even though it felt like an eternity, then turns 45 degrees and stands broadside to me, GIVING me the perfect shot... I took it and came home with a huge buck.

Many people will probably say, YEAH RIGHT... If you would like, I'll let you call here and talk to Karen... She is my witness! :big_smile:

So in closing. both work just fine...

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thats a great story however you got me rather curious.Why was the police officer waiting at your car??

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I like the ground blind for two reasons. First off I don't like heights and secondly I don't like to lug a bunch of stuff in the woods. I kill about as many deer as most and don't have to be concerned with falling and injuring myself.
    Today's ground blinds are light and easy to carry and set up. They also keep the rain off and most of the wind.

5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    oops. forgot to explain that part... stupid medicines! Sorry for that...

He was waiting at the car because Karen has a new to us, used car now. We pulled up at the bottom part of the land, which is on the highway. Our neighbor down there doesn't know this car yet, so they immediately called the police saying that someone was trespassing on our land. HEHE Thank god for neighbors! At least someone is looking out for us! :big_smile:

Everyone around us knows that we do NOT allow hunting except by a few people, and that is only ONE person this year, that officer! I do not have permission to give his name, but he is WELL KNOWN in this county, he is a gun safety/hunter ed training officer also, and a very good person in general.

Two years ago, the only person that had permission was a neighbor's son. He didn't bag anything, but that was his fault because he couldn't sit still long enough for anything to come out. LOL

6. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    We made our own blind. Karen and I both know how to sew (yes I'm a man that knows how to do "woman stuff" as some of my friends in arkansas liked to say).

We went to a fabric shop and bought enough camouflage cloth to do what we wanted, and bought some dowel poles of proper size to hold. Came home, sewed up the cloth, sewed in the poles, and we had a perfect height blind for both of us in a 8' diameter circle. plenty of room to move around in. Used it a few times, then bought this land and it hasn't been used since.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use both but I have to be careful on the placement of ground blinds in this area. There are quite a few hunters down this way so usually it is better to be in a tree stand. Plus as a shooter I like the angle insuring that my bullet won't travel very far. In a ground blind shooting level with a high powered rifle you have to know where and how far your bullet will travel for safety sake. If your hunting in the woods in deep cover it shouldn't be a problem but if your hunting a field or a high-line or pipe-line then that is another story. You actually don't know where your bullet might end up.

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Which do I prefer....that depends on the situation. If i'm hunting an open field, i prefer the ground blind. I have a place I hunt now that would be perfect for this if I had one. In a mature woods I prefer a stand, as I can get up higher and see/shoot farther, plus I believe the higher you get up the less the deer can smell you (and I dont have any of them fancy smell-proof clothes). In an immature woods a ground blind is good cause the short trees tend to be too short and thick for a stand. I also dont like heights, which means I dont use my climber much, unless I wanna hunt somewheres that I dont have a stand. I did kill a doe saturday night out of my climber, the first one i've killed out of that stand.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Congrats to ya Matt on the first kill from the stand.

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I used to hunt from the ground. I'd usually try to find a deadfall and build a blind in it. I saw my share of deer. But once I started using a climber, I started shooting a lot more deer. So I've just stuck with that. We're gonna hopefully get to hunt some new land this year and if so, I'll carry one of those teepee blinds with me, just in case I see a place where I don't really want to carry the climber to. They do have their place and work great from all I hear about them. But I like my treestands and as long as I'm healthy enough to use one, I guess that's what I'll stick with.

11. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I believe that both a ground bling and a tree stand are necessary for effective hunting. It depends on what kind of an area that you're hunting in. If there are no good trees in the area that you want to hunt, of course you would need to use a ground blind. One good thing about a ground blind is that it can help keep your scent from permeating the air. It also helps to conceal your movement better than a tree stand does. Stands are better in that you can see further and you have a woder range of shooting areas. I prefer tree stands if I can use one in a certain area, because I've had more success out of them. Good luck with the season!

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    After recalling details of every deer I have killed over the years, I found very few were killed while actually in a tree stand. Most were killed while on the ground with no blind. As the years go by quicker, I realize I have no intelligent reason to climb a tree anymore. Have tried perhaps a dozen ground blinds and they all had good and bad points. Weight is not usually a good point. I gave away all my blinds & stands to young folks who could use them. Now, I have only one left, a "chair blind" made by Ameristep. If you get one, do not buy the one man style as it is two small to maneuver your rifle around to get a shot. I only use that blind in inclement weather. Mostly, I carry around an nice high back fold up comfortable chair, the kind that firs in a bag. Comfort is the key word as it will keep you out longer, hunting. Sometimes, under the right conditions, I carry a piece of camo cloth to drape around me if I need extra help in breaking up my profile. I don't worry a lot about scent, I hunt the wind every time and it's not a problem for me. I once sat in that chair in the middle of a 80 acre field, surrounded by 8 turkey decoy's. Watched 8 deer come into the field before picking the one I wanted. They saw me for sure, just didn't know what I was and the decoy's kept them calmed down.

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Kutter? You're in trouble and you know why! Switched! Right!

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have taken about as many from the ground as I have in a tree stand. I have taken about as many still hunting also. Now I dont trophy hunt. Im out there for meat so that maybe why its worked that way for me. Not saying I wouldnt shoot a trophy if I saw one and I do have one. Its a good 8 point I shot while still hunting. Oh yeah most of my ground hunting is without a blind. I think its all in what you prefer and making it work for you.

15. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Um... my meds may have me paranoid, but is that a joke?:confused2:

If so, I'll put thanks on it for the response. LOL

I hate my meds. :sad2:

16. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I prefir the tree stand but, I hunt state land and they allow nothing perminate. I do have a climber but, have a couple problem with it; first thing it is aluminum and noisey, plus with my size, if the noise of set up ain't bad enough, I sound like a bear climbing a tree, then it is the most comfortable stand or chair I've ever been in , it more comfortable then my recliner. I just lay my head back and I'm sleeping, of course my sleep apthyna don't help. I got the tree lounge!!

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It's not your meds, it's Bryan's. He just found out some disturbing news and had to quickly get medicated. It's the only explanation I can think of. After all, earlier I sent him some positive rep, so there surely is no reason for me to be in trouble from that.:wink:

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Now about that title of yours? Let me see what I can do! LOL

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    depends. if im in the morning and am tired or hungover ill sit against a tree. if in bright eyed and bushy tailed i go to the trees. i hunt for the meat mostly. so i shoot what comes along. not what has bones on its head. those bring me $. as i am a taxidermist.:wink:

20. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Both. If I'm bow hunting, I always use a tree stand because its easier to get deer to come within arrow range if you're up in a tree. During the first part of the gun season, before the deer get used to hunters being in the woods, I'll usually sit in my permanent tree stands. After a couple of weeks of gun season, it seems like the deer get wary of the permanent stands and I'll switch to a portable tree stand or start hunting on the ground a lot more to mix it up. If I'm hunting food plots, I'll just about always sit in an elevated stand. Wind direction also has a lot to do with wether I choose a permanent or portable stand or wether I hunt from the ground. They both have their advantages.