Tree Stand Location - Should I move my stand after being spotted by deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by beetle, Oct 7, 2007.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last weekend while bow hunting in my stand I had a group of 5 does come in. I've got an early season doe tag to fill so this was great. I picked the one I was going to take so as she passed by a tree I pulled back and held waiting for her to come into my shot window. All of the sudden another doe comes straight at me and spots me. There she was stomping and snorting at me, I could not hold any longer and started shaking bad so I had to let off...they took off with flags a waving. I have not seen a deer since. Should I move my stand location now because of being spotted the deer are avoiding this area or is not seeing any deer just chance and I should continue hunting the same area. I am using a climbing stand so moving would not be a problem. Though my early scouting this looked like my best spot.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you have another stand? Meaning a portable? Id set right across somewhere and when they came to look up at your empty stand Id put a arrow thru one!!!

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm not one for knowing enough to advise on this subject. I have heard from plenty of others that it is for your very condition that most hunters have several stand set up. For myself, I rarely would hunt the same field or hourglass, two hunts in a row. Usually, I make it a couple of days before returning to any stand site, whether I had been spotted or not.
    We try to pattern the deer, but at the same time, they are patterning us.

4. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I wouldn't put your stand back in that tree this season,but I think it would be a good Idea to find another tree nearby to use in a week or so.For at least a week I would hunt a area deer use to get to and from your hunting spot,If "your spot"is a place deer are at ,they have to pass by some place else to get there.Its not that deer will stop going there altogether,but for a time they will be more carefull/sensitive when there,thats to your disadvantage.Thats my take

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Those does will try to pick you out if you stay there. Next time, there could be a buck with them. I wouldn't necessarily leave the area, but I would definitely pick another tree!

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    sounds like the perfect time to move,your over hunting that area.i move constantly ,everytime you hunt a place you smell it up comming and going.somewhere close by those same deer are taking a different route to avoid your stand usually its alot closer than you think.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with these guys. Move for awhile and let them have that place. Find the closest travel corridor and chances are you'll find the deer again.

8. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    There was a reason you chose this area in the first place. ie.. acorns dropping, a trail leading from a staging area to a cultivated field, etc. etc.. Ease in there during mid day and look for fresh sign, ie.. tracks, droppings, fresh rubs, scrapes, etc.
    With this many does, it should be easy to check and see if they are still hitting your chosen area. If the sign is fresh, then the spot must be good. Are you at least 14 feet up in the tree? Is there a background such as branches or tree trunk to break your outline? Deer forget quickly and won't necessarily come "looking" for you the next time they come to that particular spot. But... If you are not hidden well, they will make you out again. Hope this helps. Luke Clayton

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Move and like others said put up a couple stands if you can. Even if you have to set up in a deadfall, they can be just as effective as store bought stands or blinds. Take a day or morning just to set up stands or blinds and leave the area alone for a week if you can.

10. redticrunner

redticrunner New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I tend to agree with the rest of the guys, I would hunt the same basic area but from a different tree. They will be cautious for a while yet.

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advice guys! I can only hunt on the weekends so I didn't think I was over hunting the area. Does stand height make a difference? I try to get up about 15ft. I choose this location because I can get in from a creek fairly easy without much noise. The area is between the bedding and feeding area. I will have to find another location for a while. Where the deer feed and bed I can not hunt (no hunting) so I have to get them as they move between. I have got one each year during gun season. This year I got an extra tag in hopes of getting my first one with a bow. I hope my spooking them did not cause them to stay out of my area.

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Most people say you want a stand atleast 15foot.But I think just as important is that you have some background to blend into.They recomend placing your stand near a branch in the tree( I know that can be hard with a climber) or something they say works is to ziptie some branches to the bottom of the platform on the climber.I know a guy that bought some camo leaf material at the army surplus store and once he gets up in his stand he unfolds it and ties it around the rail on his climber,kind of like a curtain/blind.It works for him.

13. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i agree with mike 15 ft can be plenty high if you have plenty of back ground and if the tree is big enough.i have a simple way to test if a stand is high enough after putting up my stand i stand about twenty yards away and look straight ahead past my stand if i can see it out of the corner of my eye its to low and i move it up.i dont have to do this anymore because after doing this many times the magic number where the stand disapears from my periferal view is about twenty feet.the lower you go the more background cover you need ,or sometimes ill set up on the backside of a tree to block me from the deers view the only drawback is you almost have to stand the whole time to see deer comming,good luck.

14. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    This happened to me years ago I had shot a little buck and field dressed him on the spot. Thinking I wouldn't hunt the area for a week or so. Little did I know before I had shot the little buck my dad had seen a very big buck on his side of the ravine. So I decided that we should hunt the same stands again and the next mornin the gut pile was gone cleaned up by the coyotes and whatever and a group of does came out and sniffed all around the blood covered leaves and weren't spooked or anything. The more time I spend in the woods the more I learn from em!! Another time I had a spike that I kept gruntin at and we had a long talk I never heard a deer so vocal I managed to shoot two arrows at him during all this and missed twice! Just when ya thoght ya were smarter than them!!
    SS

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    if/when I get busted & they leave in a hurry then I wont go back there for atleast a week and then I'll set up on a slightly different spot so when they look for you they'll be looking in the wrong spot.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ill have to second that height is not all important, Ive taken plenty of deer from the ground. Most of stands are 12 feet or so off the ground. I try to make a 3D type background with stuff to the sides, behind and in front of you if possible. Cutting a couple small pine trees works great.

17. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    That spot will be tainted for a while. Surely all of the deer didn't see you. It possible just leave the stand up and hunt another spot for a while and let that spot cool off. I have three different spots to hunt. If one somehow gets tainted or the wind is not just right, I move to another location. Two of them are within 100yds of each other. One faces a draw and the other a field. The third spot is in a big ol pecan tree. Loaded with pecans.

18. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i use pine and cedar limbs on all my permanant stands it not only helps break your outline up but helps with your outline. as far as the area being tainted by the deer making you as was said earlier give it a couple of weekends and try another tree. i've been hunting one bowstand bout 7 yrs and always have to throw something out of the tree so i can leave at least 2 or three times a year. always carry something i can leave over night cause they never go far and they are right back in there. my xperiance is as long as they don't wind ya, ya will probably be just fine.

19. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    its my opinion that deer get on to a stand location when your not in it as well as when you are.when you leave your stand after a hunt and deer are in the area that night they smell your entry and exit trail .thats why i have multiple stand locations and move when i feel its needed.

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    I use a tree lounge and one of selling points is you can hunt from a much higher point. If your say 20 to 25 feet you will see less deer looking up that high. At least for me when im up higher I dont get busted as much.
    Try falling back about 30 yards and if you can go up higher you should be able to make up the distance.