Tree clips

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Limbline, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Limbline

Limbline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Several years ago I was reading an In-Fisherman Catfish Guide and they showed an illustration of an anchored boat with several different types of line sets. One of the road/reel sets showed line coming from the reel to a tree which had some sort of clip that allowed the line to go straight down into the water, from the limb.
    The clip was strong enough to hold the line with live perch, but when a catfish took the bait, the line would pop free from the clip. Does anyone know what they were using for the clip? Has anyone tried it, if so, does it work well?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

I have not seen the clip or ever heard of em, but I am sure some member will be able to help ya.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Limbline, I use a regular wooden cloths pin. only instead of a tree limb I use a cane pole . This method works great for hanging a gill in high water close to the bank. I put them about a foot under water. Welcome to the BOC
    :0a26:

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome Limbline, I would assume they used a downrigger release. I have often wondered but never tried it. I am going to give it a try. I know that I have hooked some big fish after thowing over a limb and letting the bait dangle in the water. Actually I have doe it on purpose and hookd a 3 1/2 lb crappie ina private pond. It broe off right as i got to it.

5. Limbline

Limbline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the welcome's and the info.
    I"ve never used a downrigger, so I'm not familiar with the release. Can you buy just the release? If so, how much are they?
    Netman, do the clothespin's do a good job of holding larger bait's (hand sized or better)?

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have tried this same method, but used paperclips. I tied a string arounf the limb and hooked the paperclip onto the string. Just bend the bottom end to barely hold the bream on and your set. Anything bigger hits, the paperclip straightens out and lets go. If you test it a few times, the set up is real easy to figure out.

7. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    A downrigger release clip is like a cloths pin, but has rubber pads to hold the line and cable to attach to the ball. Planer board release clips are just about the same. Cabelas, Gander Mountain or any tackle shop near where people troll big water for stripers, lake trout, etc. should have them. I use them all the time for drifting under planer boards, but have not tried the limb technique for cats. The further back in the pad, the more it takes to remove the line on the strike or hold larger baits.

Good luck,

Bo

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Eric they sure do. Get a pack of new ones or strong old ones. Remember the fish is in the water so the weights is not that much of an issue. And with the line tied that high they can only swim to the surface if the try to swim out in any direction. It's kind of like having some one hold a hook fifty feet away and then you trying to set the hook. You won't have as much power as you might think. lol