treble vs. circle hook question.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Sep 16, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    well yesterday when i was fishing i seemed to have way better luck using my last circle hook. it was great b/c the kitty hooked himself. now i have to go back to trebles for a whiel. when should i set the hook should i wait till i get a huge hit? usually when i use trebles i miss the fish. and usually when i get the big hit i got to set the hook and i miss. its really depressing hahaha! help me!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What are you using for bait? If the bait is to big are the points of the hooks are not exposed are the bait can not slide down some to expose the points of the hook that may be your trouble. You may just be yanking the bait out of the fishes mouth without setting the hook because the is no point to catch the fishes mouth. I would try a samller piece of bait are bigger hooks. If you are using livers it shouldn't hender you do to the fact is is so soft. Good luck

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    im using cutbait. im hooked. ive been using slivers a the gill and it seems to be working better than when i was using the head. i also love to chum the water with bluegill haha. its the new favorite bait. thanks for all the help benji. your the man.

4. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    ive used treble hooks all my life,, i recently tried circle hooks and to my surprise work better to hold the bait and are easier to get out for me anyway........

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like you are using the fillets of the gill, that is good bait. You might want to try cutting the fillet into three pieces and putting one piece on each side of the treble hook. That should expose the hook point enough to get a good hook set.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    you know what im an idiot. im not using trebles im using snelled hooks. ah kick me in the face! hahaha. im sorry. im not too saavy hahaha. that was also my question last night. if i can bend a snelled hook into a circle hook lol.:roll_eyes:

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Probably could but would comprimise the integrity of the hook in question.
    I wouldn't trust it. J.M.O.
    :confident:
    I like that one...

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    lol i might try it? idk lol.

9. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Why is it that you would want to bend a hook,when it is so simple to snell
    your own hooks?I use circle hooks at least 80% of the time.Snelling is not that hard to do,I usually tie all my rigs sitting around the house.Once all hooks are snelled ,just hook them on a peice of noodle to keep tangle free
    and needle sharp.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I still don't think it would be a good idea, to try to make a circle hook. But you never know, it may work. That 30+ inch catfish may snap that hook if it is gets a weak spot in it from the bend you make.