Treble or single hook?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by georgiamike, Sep 21, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    When fishing with livers I have been using a single hook (I use the panty hose trick and have no problem with it coming off the hook). Would anyone advise using a treble hook instead? What are the advantages and disadvantages (there are some that are obvious) of using a treble hook instead of a single hook? Also would you reccommend tying the treble hook directly to the main line if using a wieght below it. I tried tying one on a leader off the main line but kept getting tangled.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I like to use a treble for livers but prefer a single hook for everything else though. seems to accomodate the properties of the liver better. JMO

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to use treble hooks for liver but have been using a single hook for years now. I can keep fresh livers on a single hook just as well as a treble. Make sure you use a good firm piece. I now cure my livers and they still catch fish and they stay on the hook better. I quit using trebles because they can be difficult to unhook from a fish and they snag alot more.

4. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Personally, I never use trebles. I release the majority of my catch and trebles inflict too much damage.

5. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    i use singles but have never tried treble at all

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Single hooks for everything

7. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Used to use trebles for liver, but now single hooks for everything.

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Single hooks for everything. Too many drawbacks to trebles. Snags, too hard on the fish, difficult to get out of their mouth.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a treble hook for livers, and a single hook for everything else.

10. Big Merc

Big Merc New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    treble hook just my opinion

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There are certain areas that I fish, where Bullheads are the only cats around. Since I don't release Bullheads, I will use the trebles there

For all other areas, I use Circles & Kahles

13. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Baitshops carry a special single hook made especially for liver. If your a die hard liver user,you might want to check them out. They are a bit pricy though.:cool2:

14. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Oh my lord, can you hear it?? this is so sad, yes I can hear yet another poor ol catfish slowly dieing from an unthinking fisherman that had the nerve to use a dreaded treble hook. To this I say....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Just love some good ol sarcasm when its needed! Georgia Mike let me tell ya my thoughts on treble hooks, first of yall ya got better odds right out of the gate, 3 to 1 wins ya nice fillets everytime. Now I have been around here a while and have certainly taken a lot of grief for my dedicated love of the No 6 spring treble but I let it slide right off my back cause I know the secret and I will now share it with you Georgia.......

equipment needed:

3 6ft med action rods mounted with good ol Zebco 33's, 10 lb test

lots of no 6 and No 4 spring trebles

3 or 4 pounds of fresh liver

tie a hook to your line, no weight needed, then grab a big hunk of liver and slowly start wrapping around treble hook, you will feel the stringy part take hold on the spring shaft and then make one of those beautiful long lob casts that are only possible with the Z33.

Set your rods parellell with the ground about a foot high, push the release buttons and watch your line as it soon will be taken by a hungry cat, let it run for 5 feet or so then turn the critter around, feel those sharp trebles work.

Now lots of times the hook will be unretrievable until cleaning or if you want to release the fish just clip the line, the survival rate is much higher than you will hear from the cat police around here...lol

try it sometime

egg

15. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    We use a single hoop type hook with the stocking trick. (easy release less damage to kittys) good luck and tight lines
    Marc:big_smile:

16. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Doesn't anyone use dough bait such as cheese or blood based baits? I use trebles with this bait because you have to form it onto the hook and it won't stay on a single hook. It's not like dip bait and perch won't mess with it. You won't catch many large fish (CPR), but you will catch good eaters and that's all I want to catch sometimes. (GOOOOOOOOOOD Eating!)

17. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry, I was getting off topic. I was just trying to steer the link away from what seemed like a PETA meeting.

18. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Most of around here just use a single j hook with liver (chicken or beef). We just don't fish that far our where we have to sling it. generally use no weight or a very small one.

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I first started cattin, I used trebles with Chicken liver, but now only use either J hooks or circle hooks for everything. I now use liver and rarely cast it off the hook without using anything extra to keep it on. I would still use the trebles for liver, but I often switch baits and don't want to constanly retie, and I don't like the pain in the butt the trebles can be to get out of a fishes mouth.

20. Big Merc

Big Merc New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri