Treble hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bluesbrother, Aug 31, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    any one ever use them to put liver around? i used to but stopped using liver to messy but there great .good luck

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    But not chicken livers,I have used them with Beef and Turkey and not had one bit of trouble with it staying on the hook.Chicken liver is indeed very tricky.------------pk powell:smile2:

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol i know what you mean i found calf liver to be a bit tougher .good luck

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use treble hooks with my DK's are Looper Rigs, prefer Looper Rigs. Never had cared for my chicken livers to be on a treble hook though.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Chicken Liver & Treble Hooks can be a deadly combo if use right. Alot of people I know just use Magic Thread or any kind of light netting (a piece of stocking). Just put some Liver on your Treble Hook and then rap the Thread around it. It can be any Thread - not only Magic Thread.

But remember not to try and cast you bait to the other side of the river or lake that you are fishing in. lol
    Just lob it out there, that way it don't come flying off when you cast. :smile2:
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

6. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I dont use liver much any more but here is another way. Tie a snap hitch or link, then tie it to your line. Then take the trebble and push the eye through the liver and snap it onto the eye. Good Luck Craig

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fish with liver about once a year. That one time reminds me of how much I hate it!!!

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I only use a single hook I tie mine on with sewing thread:roll_eyes:

9. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    I use a treble with a snap swivel for uncured chicken livers. Just unsnap it, and thread the livers on over the shank of the treble, resnap and toss. For cured livers i just thread it over the points of the treble.

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Craig, you beat me too it. That's exactly how I do it too! Reps to ya brother!

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    No I don't care for them at all,never have liked them.

When I use chicken livers I use a signle hook and nothing else. I started using livers on a J hook as a kid and 30 plus years later I can cast it almost as far as any other bait I use. :)

12. Smiles

Smiles New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went to belews lake and used livers on both trebles and circles, i got it to stay on and got lots of bites but I'm having trouble landing/setting the hook, after 4 hours I had ended up with a small bass! Not what I was hopping for. Any suggestions would greatly appriciated.

13. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Since you're getting bites, I'd suggest going to a "J" hook (baitholder). What I'll do with livers is to thread a piece onto the shaft of the hook, wrap the liver with sewing thread, tie and trim thread. Make sure that the point and the barb of the hook are both exposed.

By tying the liver to the hook, I don't have to worry about the strength of my cast.

I normally use a sliding sinker rig and hang a bobber, using a bent paper clip, to my line between two guides near the base of my rod. I'll let the bobber hang down approximately 5".

When I get a bite, one of two things happens.

In the first, more frustrating, case, the bobber will move slowly. Normally, it will move up due to the eater moving away, but it can move down if the eater moves toward. In that case, I unhook the bobber, pick up the rod and see if there is more movement; I want to wait for the eater to swallow the bait. I will then gently take up the slack before setting the hook and reeling in.

In the second case, the bobber will go flying off the line as the fish swims away at full speed. In that case, I will set the hook and reel in.

-- Rich

P.S. Try to use something cheap for the bobber. I normally use empty 35mm film cans, and others I know will use wine corks.

14. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    same as craig and glenn here.

15. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm stuck on my circles guess you love them or hate LOL. I never had much luck on livers but I tried this cure your livers 1 cup salt 1 cup brown sugar mix with 1 tub of livers add garlic anise or your fav this makes them tough and they stay on the hook very well only an idea

NED