Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to post this question, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but here it goes...

My mother says that treble hooks are not safe to use?

I think they are fine but she told me to post so here it is,

thanks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I use treble hooks now and then for fishing and never have a "gut hook" but I stay right with my rods and don't let the fish take the bait very long. There is absolutely no more danger in a treble hook than in a regular hook or bait knife or whatever, just gotta use your brain and be carefull when removing a fish,pliers help just like with any other hook. Treble hooks are a valuable tool in your tackle arsenal and should not be left behind. they are usually used for channel cats and used with liver,dough baits and punch baits among a few, they are hard to beat if you are out after some eatin size cats.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use 2 different size trebles only for channels and fishing with livers. They hold the bait the best so I can get'er on out there!

I also have "fury thangs" from Team Catfish which the ones I got are trebles as well.

Any Hook can be dangerous, about a month ago I embedded a hook into my finger and had to rip it out with a pair of hemostats.

So just remember "AWARENESS AND SAFETY"!

Add the following items to your tackle box and maybe she will be okay.

1. First -Aid Kit.
2. Locking Hemostats - you can get them from wallie world from around 5 bucks.
3. Needle Nose pliers.

Maybe this helps!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
All the previous posts are right.......you will gut hook the eater sized fish, especially channel cats.
I fish Secret 7 for channels and last year had to clean about 75% of the channel cats twice.......once to clean the fillets, and then once to dig the hook out of the gut.
I have vowed this year to use a khale hooks with my dip tubes. If I miss fish with that hook, then I miss them, but trebles do gut/foul hook fish a lot more than single hooks.
My advice to those wanting to use trebles, especially with dip tubes is: when those channel cats start bitting, reel down on them sooner than you think you'd have to. A lot of times, a channel cat has already been hooked and is just chewing and swallowing that hook, making it difficult to remove the hook later. Setting the hook or reeling down sooner will keep some of those channels from gut hooking a treble hook.

·
Registered
955 Posts
All the previous posts are right.......you will gut hook the eater sized fish, especially channel cats.
I fished all day yesterday with trebles, and never gut hooked a single channel cat. In fact, i've never gut hooked a catfish with trebles. Thats all i ever catch is eater channels, and never a problem. I had a couple that the hook was inside of the mouth, but a decent pair of pliers, or hook remover makes that a simple job, and the hook was nowhere near the guts.

As to the original poster, trebles hook are no more dangerous than any other hook. If you put your fingers in a bad spot, than there is a good chance you will get stuck, but thats true even with J, cirlce, or any other hooks. I always grab the leader, then grab the fish under its belly (being careful of the spines), then remove the hook with pliers, just because its easier to get the hook out of their tuff mouths.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
No offence, BUT if you are gut hooking fish you are doing something wrong, waiting to long to set the hook,not paying enough attention to your poles,fishing them on a slack line,or something, but fished on either a bobber or a tight-line you will see the fish hit the bait, pick uo your pole when you feel the fish tug again rare back and set the hook, don't wait for the hook to set itself or any of that, stick that sucker and 99.9% of the time you will have the fish by only one or two hook points right in the jaw,

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
no offense taken, but before you boys rake me too far over the coals, I didn't meant gut hook like it sounded......and like some are taking it...i just meant not in the front of the mouth, and back in the mouth.
I do set the hook/reel down in plenty of time, but if you have never had a channel cat get those trebles hung in the back of the mouth, try some Secret 7, and see what I am talking about.
Maybe that is the issue........they love that secret 7.
enough of this from me
good luck with whatever hook you use

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.