Treble hooks with a spring?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Mar 1, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    What are those treble hooks withthe spring on them for?I may have i asked this on the old site but i dont remember.Are they for punch bait?or mybe dip bait or the bait that they make preformed balls from or what?Anyone have an idea?

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I think it Holds bait on the hook better, especially like the dough or dip baits. If I am wrong we will know in a few minutes. LOL

3. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    if you ask me all that spring does is make your tackle box smell worse. that last little bit is hard too get out of there. doesnt seem to hold the bulk of the bait on any better.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    its for using dough baits or in my case, when using cheese for bait. I grew up on a trout creek and meunster cheese on one of them worked wonders. Of course mom would throw a fit cause meunster expensive and I'd use alot for bait when I was a kid.

5. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    brinley, they are called bait holder hooks and that is what they do. Not only for dough baits thoug, I use them all the time for chicken liver, I take a fresh hunk and slowly wrap around the spring till the stringy part takes hold then let the bulk of the liver hang from the hooks, works great for me. careful though, lot of bleedin hearts around here that think treble hooks are cruel to fish....

egg

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    How do you use it?Like how do you put the dough bait on with the spring on there?

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

you knead the dough bait into the spring.

just for kicks, check out Loopers Rigs Loop is one of our members and sponsors from Oklahoma.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    With chicken liver you can attach the treble hook with a big snapring that weigh when baiting up you take the treble hook off and can put the bait over the eye and onto the spring.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The springs are for holding dough bait.

10. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Not to put to fine a fine point on it, but they are called "dough bait hooks." A baitholder hook is a straight J hook with two small barbs on the hook shank.
    Rat

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    those hooks were originally designed to hold dough and dip baits on though as you can see some people use chicken liver and all sorts of stuff as well. me i use it w/ some of the dough balls and when trout fishing in the spring cause the power bait just seems to stay better on those and im not throwing money at the fish... I think the largest i've seen them in is a size 2 all the way down to the smallest being a size 12 or 14 treble...

the way you rig them is just mold the dough ball around the hook pressing it in a bit so it gets in to the spring. dip baits , just dip and throw.