Treble hooks in South Carolina?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JenJen, May 28, 2007.

1. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In my younger days of being oh-so determinded to catch a fish, I used to beg to be able to use a treble hook. My father was the editor of SC Wildlife and a stickler for the rules and never let me. Said they were only legal on a lure. (Which never made much sense to me. Why on a lure and not on a line?)

But now treble hooks seem to be legal? You have all of these new baits that come with treble hook applications, and they seem to be selling just fine. Did something change?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jennifer, welcome to the BOC. Your father was associated with one of the very best state published wildlife magazines that I've ever read.
    I've been fishing all my life, always try to follow the rules, but I've never read anything that prohibits using treble hooks. Ethically, I think the fish may be more likely to swallow them deeper when using stink or cut baits, which would likely increase the mortality rate for released fish. Wouldn't matter too much for catching table fare, though. If it is illegal, I'd like to read that. I've used them on rare occasions as stinger hooks on large cut bait. :smile2:

3. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I happen to agree about SC Wildlife magazine. No bias here, of course.:embarassed: If you read when my father was involved, around twenty years ago now, then you may have read his short stories he used to write for the magazine. He ended up publishing a book of all of those stories and it went over pretty well. It's called "Purple Heaven," and it's very funny. I'm thinking about posting some passages from it to this site - I bet most on here would really get 'em!

About the treble hooks, I certianly can't promise that they are illegal. I'm only going from what my dad told me. And he may have been meaning only with game fish - I don't remember the situation when we had the conversation.

My husband's theory is that my dad's coment came from him being such a sportsman. He thinks that Dad just didn't like the idea of a treble hook on a line. And he may be right.

And I see why stink baits and such could be called lures. That is what they claim to do - lure.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't fish stink baits much, but when I do I substitute a single hook for the treble. On any bait that the fish is actually going to eat (live or cut natural bait, stink baits, etc.), I can not recommend treble hooks. The fisherman does not know the exact moment the fish has taken the bait in it's mouth, so therefore it is common for the fish to be hooked deeply. In such a case the treble hook will just make things worse and harm the fish.

The reason that treble hooks on lures are not as dangerous to the fish comes from the way the lure is fished - it is in pretty much continuous motion. The fisherman knows immediately when the fish takes the lure. Often, because the fish strikes at the lure, they hook themselves. That's why they don't tend to be hooked deeply with lures.

I took a quick look through the rules and regs book and could not find anything about the legality of treble hooks. I do think I remember something from a while back that it was not legal with bait in salt water, but I'm just not sure.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Although not a resident of S.C., I tend to agree with your husband. In every state I have fished in, which is quite a few, the treble hook was not illegal. I believe it is even specified in the Oklahoma regs about being a legal device. LOL

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I only use treble hooks on bass lures as I think thats the only way they should be used but thats just my opinion. I have 5 12/0 treble hooks I use to get lost rods back. I've had fish pull two rods in and my buddy has drop his rods overboard about 10 times. I don't use them for anything else but rods retrieval.

7. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Only time I use treble hooks for catfishing is when I am using chicken liver right out of the container, about the only way I can keep the durn stuff on.

8. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    The only ethical time to use treble hooks are when you are going to keep what you catch. Dip bait holders normaly come with treble hooks on them so I don't use these holders when I plan to release the fish (say like in a tournament) so I found a way to hold dip bait on a standard circle hook. I use a 1" square piece of felt threaded on a circle hook then dip. Corner of the mouth every time.

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have been fishing stink bait with treble hooks for the last 20 years. I don't have a problem getting the hooks out and have not noticed any difference in mortality rates. I use Mustad 7794B (3X strong) that I get from www.jannsnetcraft.com I mostly use #6 and occasionally #4 if bigger cats are biting.

10. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    ive always injoyed stabbing one into my finger or the ohh so fun times ive stepped on one i say ban the things!

11. The Out-Fisherman

The Out-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Charleston, SC
    I've used them and have had my gear checked by DNR and they never mentioned it being against the law...I stopped using them right after I started catfishing - too hard to remove!

They come in handy for some good ol' snag fishing =)

12. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I keep getting impressed with how great this site is for getting information - or, and just as important, for getting other people's opnions. Fishing is such a game of trial and error that this website is an incredibly valuable resource - being able to hear what other's have tried and how it worked is great.

This reminds me of one time when I was fishing Rainbow out of the Chatooga (sp?) at this lovely little spot called Burrel's Landing way up in the corner of the state. My boys and I had been there all day trying to catch one of those elusive little critters, and we were having no luck. (We were just going at it with rods and reels - no way were we going to try and fight with fly fishing, especially with the little guys.) There were a few others on the banks near us as the day progressed, and nobody was having any better luck than we were. We could see the beautiful fish all over the place - so we knew they were there - but they just weren't interested in what we were selling.

Then, not long before we gave it up, this old lady came creaking down the trail and set up twenty yards upstream from us. (Grey hair in a bun and everything.) She threw out her first cast and caught a trout right away. Reeled it in with out ever cracking a smile. We watched, jealous, as she brought in a stringer full, and we continued to switch baits.

Eventually, my oldest boy, who was about six at the time, asked if he could go and ask her what she was fishing with. And because I was dying to know, too, I told him ok. He came back hopping up and down with excitement and said that she was fishing with corn. So I dug into our camping supplies and got some corn for their hooks. The boys were about to pop, sure they were going to catch a fish. But nothing changed.

A few hours later, we gave up and headed back for camp. As we passed behind the old lady on the trail, I saw her quickly stash a can of Power Bait into her tackle box. She saw me see her, then gave me a scowl and turned back to the water. (The Power Bait did the trick the next day - it was the only thing they bit on all week.)

Just wanted to tell you this to show that I know the way you guys share is really something. And thanks for it.

13. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    :lol:A fisherman is a fisherman no matter what form they come in!!!!