treble hooks for trotlines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by scorpio, Apr 2, 2008.

1. scorpio

scorpio New Member

State:
    TX
    :eek:oooh: friend & i are making some trotlines -- suggestions needed for treble hooks -- any help for same will be appreciated -- we've been fishing with rod/reels for cats - which will continue, just wanted the extra chances ! ! !

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My suggestion for treble hooks on a trotline is...don't use them! Unless you want to use circle hooks, I'd go with Big Eye trotline hooks, which you can buy at Wal Mart. If you plan to leave your lines in the water for days at a time, be sure to get the stainless steel version to prevent rusty hooks. Treble hooks are just too difficult, too time-consuming, and too dangerous to use on a trotline.

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Treble hooks are really a hook that has outlived its useful life. They are cruel and are hard on fish. A good circle hook is much better if you release any of the fish and will keep probably as many fish on with a nice jaw hook up.

4. Kajun77

Kajun77 New Member

State:
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    I agree that using treble hooks on a trout line is very dangerous. I have used circle hooks and are happy with them.

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I from using J hooks to circle hooks,,Eagle claw circle hooks in 5/0. Worked pretty good for me.

6. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    TREBLES TO DANGEROUS.GO WITH J'S OR CIRCLE'S

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member