Treble hooks for flathead catfish??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 12, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well after lastnight with my disipointing loss with my hooks i was wondering if anyone ( else ) used trebles for flats... with that said, a guy i talked to a while back that used trebles and caught 5-7lb flats alot so i was wondering if its kinda like a stringer rig

anyone else do this :cool2:cause im kinda looking into it :wink:

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use mostly all trebble hooks when cattin.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I do not see alot of people diong this anwhere else but we take a 3-6 inch shad ,cut te tail off and run a needle thru it to pull our leader thru,the trebble is where the tail is.It works real well for us it has atleast a 90% or better hook up rate. I am gonna have to post how to make needles out of motorcycle/bike spokes or you can buy them at a sewing store....(darning needles) dremmel a knotch out .....

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i have # 2 mustad

does this make sence to anyone else that reads this

if the 1 barb of the hook is in the fish and the other 2 are exposed then woundnt this be a good method for hook up ratios

ive herd that catfish run and bite down on spiney fish like bluegill so pushing the frame of the treble would (Hopefully) hook

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No I do not use them and can not understand why someone would. :confused2:

Catfish are not that hard to hook because of the shape of their mouth and the way they ingest bait. Furthermore, the treble hooks do a lot more damage to fish and the added stress is not good for fish you plan to release.

If you are doing it because you have missed a couple of bites, well, everyone misses bites. It is not the hook, but rather a part of fishing. You don't catch every fish that nibbles on the bait. :wink:

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    okay then tell me this please

i am new at flat catfishing and would like to know what size hook i should use for flats that are in the 3-10 lb range... im using 3-5 in bluegill for bait and do not like circle hooks so i dont want to get suggestions to them

i currently have 3/0 octopus, 2/0-4/0 baitkeeper... if you can tell my a good hook for my type of fishing that would be great

its light tackle fishing too i use 6lb main and 12lb leader :smile2:

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I sometimes use a treble...especially for channel and blues that I plan to eat.

Although I have in the past used a treble stinger on a 9/0 circle hook for flathead.

If I'm not meat hunting...I'll use a circle alone because it gives you the option to release them alive...due to its tendecy to hook the fish in the corner of its mouth.

As far as other hooks...I also use an Eagleclaw, Owner, or Gamakatsu 2/0, 3/0, or 4/0 Baitholder...especially so if I'm using a bobber.

I have tried Kahle hooks...but have had a problem with them bending under the pressure of my 65 lb Powerpro braid. (Which is another plus when setting the hook...braid is very low to no stretch.)

I prefer a small bait...black perch in the 2"-4" range. I have found that bigger fish will more consistently hit a smaller offering than you might think.

My biggest flathead on rod/reel...a 47 lb...was caught on a 3" lively black perch...which I trap by the dozens per soak.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    LeRoy,

Hook size might be your problem. My advice would be putting away the 3/O and going with a 6/O octopus or 7/O kahle.

Using trebles will severely damage a catfish's mouth. If you plan on harvesting it, it would be OK. But if you plan on CPRing, it will hurt the fish.

9. enfausen

enfausen New Member

State:
    Indiana (Rising Sun)
    I personaly wouldn't use a Treble hook. If you are fishing for 10 pounders then I would use a 6/0 or 7/0 Kahle hook. I personaly use a 10/0 and have seen 7 and 8 pounders caught no problem. The 33lbs Flat head on my avatar was caught on size 3 kahle but I was lucky it didn't straighten before I landed him.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The biggest reason I will use a treble hook when meat hunting is my primary bait of choice.

Spoonbill and Gar egg sacks cut into strips is THE premier bait for channel and blues around here...and a treble is necessary to hold the bait on in current.

As stated before I have used a treble stinger for flats in the past...but that was before I got into catch/release.

These guys are right about a treble potentially fatally wounding a fish...if CPR is on your mind...a treble isn't your best choice.

But if you're intent on eating some flatty meat...a treble stinger will nail those pesky short biters.

I've heard many say that those are small fish...some are...but I've seen some of those fish turn out to be 30 pounders too.

11. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Okay, Catcaller. You got me. I keep hearing that you used a "treble stinger." What is it? I haven't heard of that before, and since I fish for dinner, I might want to exploit a new technique!

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Brandon...

My daughter has my damn digital camera (I'm sure it's a REALLY good reason she has it)...or I'd take a pic right now and post it...perhaps tomorrow she'll be gracious enough to bring back my $700 camera...Grrrrrr. :roll_eyes:

In the meantime...I believe I can talk you through this until I show you what I mean later. A pic is worth a thousand words. :wink:

I'll take my usual main hook...most likely a 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook....but pick your own particular poison and enter your preference here.

Take a short length of 65 lb braided line...and attach it to the bend of the main hook with an improved cinch knot....OR...tie it at the eye...and run it down the length of the hook...attaching it halfway down to keep it from getting all tangled up.

At the far tag end of the piece of braid tie a treble...OR...actually any type of hook to it. (A 2/0 octopus works as well)

The point here being that you want a smaller hook as your stinger than the size of your main hook.

The tag length depends on how big your bait is....the main/stinger hook size ditto. Adjust accordingly. (On a side note...a good headlite...I prefer one with a black lite that makes flourescent line glow like tow rope...helps these adjustments should they be necessary at night time)

Hook your main hook through the eye or under the chin and through the top of the head.

Take your "stinger" hook...and hook it through the tail of your bait.

Many times...the stinger will be the one that hooks your fish...other times it may be the main hook.

As a result my emphasis here is to not use a flimsy hook as a stinger...a 4x durable saltwater grade treble is about right.

I am a HUGE fan of braided line...it might pay to use a slightly smaller weight class of line with your stinger than you do with your main line.

As WHEN...not IF...you get hung up...you can break off the stinger if necessary in order to salvage the rest of your rig.

Pics to follow at a later time....hope this helps in the meantime.

Brian

13. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Ahhhh. Okay. I think I know what you're getting at here. It's a live-bait type rig that allows hooks fore and aft. That way, should the bite generate from a head-on or from a sneak-attack bite, you're covered. Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation, it really did help.

When I first started reading the post, I tried to guess at where you were going and I figured that the 65lb braid would've run through the eye of both hooks and basically attached the treble to the backside of the shank of the larger hook. A (single... double... treble... quad? quadra?) hook. They do sell quad hooks, so you could use that instead and create a quint hook. The most dangerous of all hooks. Don't believe me? Ask my grandpa, 'Ol Three Fingers Grawemeyer they call him.

As far as your daughter having the camera... I can't say much. I really enjoyed using my mother's MAPP torch over the weekend.

If you want to know what was so important, just ask her. You'll find out that "Everyone else is getting new MySpace pics and I just had to go take some new ones. See? This is me at the bowling alley looking cute. This is me with Liz and we're kinda silly cute. This is one where I didn't want to try to look cute to look cute. Isn't that cute?!?!"

You purchased a $700.00 professional grade digital camera so that the slight difference between the pink on the collar of her sweater and the light rose on the stripes of her shirt could be differentiated by all her friends on MySpace, only to forget anything about her pictures so that they might remind her to view their pictures and comment on how cute theirs are.

Wow. What a sacrifice. You're a heckuva Dad! Just make sure that you don't accidentally end up in the pic of her trying to look like she's lounging on the couch and not caring, which would be really cute. It's always a bummer to have dad's noggin' in the picture.

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...I can't help but think it'd be worse if dads foot were up her...well...never mind. :wink:

15. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Kinda makes focusing difficult.

But then again, for $700.00 the thing should have auto-focus.

16. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    about getting some 1/0 trebles for the reason of i fish for dinner:big_smile:

what do some of you use out here ????

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No I dont use treble hooks. Never have seen the need. If you give the catfish a little extra time to swallow the bait, your hook-ups will be more sucessful. I like a #9 octopus.

18. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If you look at all the pictures that are available of flatheads you will notice the distinct difference it has compared to blues and channels. Their mouths are huge! You can use a large hook and land flatheads from 5lbs to 50+. I personally use cirle hooks, but as long as you a fishing for flatties I would say patience and a large j or circle hook would solve your hook-up problems.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Leroy, you don't need trebles to catch flatheads. If you use ones big enough say 8 to 10/0 you just increase your odds of your bait gettin snagged up on something before a flat ever gets a chance to eat it. I'll tell you now I have caught 2lb flatheads on 12 inch bass with a 10/0 gammakatsu Octopus hooks. The poor little guy could barely swallow enough of the bait to hook himself lol. You should use at least an 8/0 hook with live baits. A 10lb flathead can eat anything you can cast out under a pound. You need enough gap between the bait and the hook point, that you can snag his mouth. Don't be afraid of big hooks, Any hook with a # before it is too small. I use them for catching bait. You need at the mininmum a 5 to 8/0 hook for flats. I use 10/0 for all my flathead fishing, and I have caught some very small fish on them.

20. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Earl for the photos. They were a great help to me.

Bill