Treble hooks for flathead catfish and live bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by azflathead, Mar 26, 2006.

1. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I fish for flatheads here in arizona. I started using treble hooks in my live bait last year. Since then I rarely lose a fish. The ones I use are eagle claw 5/0. Do any of you guys use trebles?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Myself, I only use them when fishin' DK's punch bait. I like the Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp #4 and #2's, Gamakatsu makes a fine hook also.
    How do ya rig up "live" bait on a treble ?

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I release all Flatheads that I catch (after a photo) so I don't do the treble hook thing!

4. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I'm with Tod (T-Bone) I only use trebles on DK and SureShot punch baits. Would like to see a pic how you rig your live bait with the trebles.

Thanks

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to use them on euro-quickstrike rigs when i "lake" fished years ago. never missed a fish and never gut hooked either. think i used #8 or #10 4x strong trebbles snelled on a 12 inch leader. those rigs get snagged up too easy in the rivers though.

6. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I just rig them the same way I rig a J-hook, the only difference is that there are two exposed hooks hanging off. I use a three way swivel with an 18-24'' leader to my hook, then about a 10-12'' leader to my weight, with 10-12lb line so it will break off easier. I have noticed that in the river that I fish it is usually the weight that hangs up.

7. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i find that treble hooks are a PAIN in the butt to fish with. especially if a big flat comes along and swallows the whole thing. you can pretty much count that fish dead. since i C&R my large ones. i don't want to take the chance in that fish getting gut hooked and dying.

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't use treble hooks for flatheads, but I have good luck w/ them on channels.

9. Dustin S

Dustin S New Member

State:
    georgia
    i use a circle hook myself

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    never had the need to use a treble on flats. were you having trouble loosing or hooking fish? if so you mite have been useing to small of hooks. i use 7/0 j hooks for flathead,stuck in a 3-6 in. gill. if you feel the need to use huge gills you will need a bigger hook. the less meat you have in the gap of the hook the better.

11. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Using punch or dip baits I use a treble hook,but I mash down the barb so if I release them it does'nt injure them . Never lose them because of the barbless treble either.
    With live or cut bait I stick to using circle hooks straight out of the package.

BILL

12. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I dont like trebles full stop, I ait got anything against guys that use them but i CPR almost everything and avoidable mouth damage sees me using single hook rigs.

When I live bait I will use 3 single hooks instead of 3 trebles, invariably you only have one good prong hold from a treble, the other two are either proud or partially buried.

I hook one single through the nose, one through the stem of the front dorsal spine and the last one through the anal just to make him swim a bit quicker lol whe using carp,

Eel just need a light donk on the head a few times and a single two inches back and below the lateral line in the tail

Dead fillet baits are wrapped with the hook point proud

13. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont think its a bad idea seems how my hook up rate is'nt that great.If I use them I would use short shank 4x. I would'nt think it would hurt them that much more.

14. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    On my local lake when using live bait in excess of 8"s it must be rigged with a quickset rig ( a rig consisting of up to two trebles hooks placed anywhere in the bait, no single hooks allowed, hook must be set immediately upon bite.) I assume this rule is in place to keep from gut hooking musky?

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    What is "proud", please?

16. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I'm pretty sure what he means it that it is bare, there is nothing on it.

17. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    I Use A Large Circle Hook With A 30 Degree Offsit On The Top Of The Back If Using A Large Shad Or Perch I Follow With A Smaller Circle As A Stinger.

18. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have never used a treble for cats. Why would you? I have never had any problems I mostly get eater size but still on the small ones you can release them with a single.
    Now I went to circles and no injuries to fish I can keep or CPR .

Only my opinion

NED