Treble hooks for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by copycat, Apr 7, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I am going to be fishing on the river near me, it is a tidal river and gets brackish. The river runs to depths of 40 feet in areas and i will be drifting and trying holes in areas. My question is can I use a large treble hook instead of say a 5/0 "J" or "circle hook" on a three way rig for chunks of bluegill, bunker, chicken livers, etc.

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't see an issue in trying it, my only concern would be the possibility of getting snagged up more.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont see why it wouldnt work,but like ramrod said you could have a problem with snags.But theres only one way to find out and thats give it a try,let us know how it worked out for ya.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    What size treble hook should I try

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Copycat

Sure you can Copy! I use the "Terrible" 6/0s instead of a 8/0 "J" hook on the Flatties from time to time.

I'd guess/opinion would be an 2/0 or 1/0 treble to replace the "J" hook size you said above.

There are alot here on BOC that will not use a "TERRIBLE" hook for they fear it may hurt a fish. Todate I've not seen a problem on any of cats but they do scare the heck out of me.

Copycat you said you are usin a 3-way rig. For whats its worth, with dead bait I,ve been fooled , along with others here when using a 3-way and a cat picks up the bait and comes right at you! If using a "Paternoster" rig the same way you would the 3-way this should/will not happen ;) .
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, I'll be doggone. You mean I have been using one of those fancy named rigs and didn't even know it. Cheez. What will they think of next.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Should I use a regular poternoster or a running paternoster?

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Copycat

The running replaces the 3-way rig but acts like a "Carolina Rig".

Plus you can have a break away sinker too :confused: !!

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tom, check out the Alternative Paternoster In the library.

10. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    treble hooks dont get snagged up if you put it above the sinker

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Many studies over the years have shown a Single hook to be more efficient at hooking and holding fish.The treble hooks oppose each other and despite the seemingly more efficient idea of three being better than one it hasn't proven to be true.Trebles are also easier to dislodge and throw from the fishes perspective although I'm sure that there are plenty of brothers on here that will attest to the hooking efficiency of trebles on humans.:) ;) :cool:

12. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    When fishing salmon in WA a treble hook on a jig would be plucked out of the mouth eaiser than a single hook. When one of the hooks in in the lower jaw the salmon could then hook the upper jaw and pull the lower loose and then then throw the hook. We had to use barbless hooks and the thought was the single would stay in the mouth better when hooked but the treble would get more inital hookups. A salmon mouth is very hard which also helped them throw the hook. I think a treble with barbs would have a hard time coming out of a cat mouth which is softer and more skin like. Extra free hooks for the bluegill to take you into a snag though.

13. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Tom,

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use a trebly hook. If there's a lot of debris in the water a treble might catch more of it, but I wouldn't let that stop me.

Good luck.

Paul

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Treble hooks work great for me when i am using liver.

15. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i dont much like the use of treble hooks i like the kale

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It was just a thought that I might try. I don't want to do any more damage to the fish than need be.