Treble Hooks/Chicken Liver

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Flatheadblue, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Flatheadblue

Flatheadblue New Member

State:
    Seguin, TX.
    Whats the best way to keep chicken liver on a treble hook in running water?
    Ricky :confused:
    What happened to the BOC Store, cant seem to find it since moving to the new site.

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Try tying a snap swivel on the end of your line, then run the shank of your hook up through your liver and attach to hook to your snap swivel. It stays pretty well that way. You might also try using beef livers which, in my opinion don't work as well as chicken, but they are a little tougher and stay on better. Some other options would be using the panty hose, or tying it up with string or something like that. I don't use any of those methods, but then, I usually don't fish fast rivers either.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    All that I do is plug the chicken liver onto a circle hook and hurl it out there. But, like Willis, I dont fish fast current either. I just have this small sluggish spot in the creek that I go to, and throw it out there. As for a treble, I would have to go with Willis again. It seems like the best way would be to stab the shank through it, and then snap it onto your line. That way the three barbs will support the liver a bit more.

4. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    ahh, treble hooks and liver. They go together just like bread and butter. I have really good luck with the freshest liver possible and then impale the glob of bait on a couple of the hook points then slowly wrap the liver around the shank of the hook. I use the bait holder type with the spring and you can feel the senewy strand in the liver take hold.

good luck

egg

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wouldn't it be better to use cured chicken liver? :0a36:

6. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    theres a thread available thats mostly used for salmon fishishing? i think.Its used to hold the salmon eggs or other fish eggs on the hook,but it works very well with chicken liver on a regular/circle hook.
    Should have no problem keeping the liver on with a treble hook.I use it sometimes with a circle hook in fast current and never have a problem with it coming off.
    The river i fish is tidal water so when the tid is goin out,and the current is goin its usually runnin around 15mph! :p

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    willis said it........use a swivel and up end the hook into a nice chunk....should stay on well even after a hit........

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I'm with Ramrod on this one. I sun cure my chicken livers with garlic salt and let them sit for about one or two hours on each side. I thread my livers on even after I cure them. That's how my bro caught his fifty pounder, and last weekend I caught my twenty five pounder. Everyone has their own technique though. Whatever you do, have fun doing it! Good Luck Fishin!!

-Later

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    How about tossing a hand full of chicken livers in a blender with two hand fulls of wheaties. Creates a nice paste that will stick to bait holder hooks like stink bait.

Another thing I've done is just tie the hook with a long tag end, then use the tag end to wrapp around the baited hook and a simple half hitch or over hand will hold things in place pretty well.

Just a couple of my own techniques

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just hook the liver as many times as possible and give it a lob with a long pole. It will get out there pretty far, I have been doing this since I started catfishing. Every once in a while it will come off the hook but I guess thats the way it goes.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cured. thats what i also would suggest. also the age old panty hose trick. for fast current. i use circles in ponds but i have just steered clear of liver when drifting causeit don't hold well.

ive also used thin mono to wrap and tie around it when i launch it. seems to work in a bind.

old egg i knew id'e see him in this thread.