Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What do you like to use, treble hooks or single hooks?

• treble hook

• single hook

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have never tried using a trebble hook, I have always used a single hook. I typically use a 2/o Gamakatsu circle hook (my preference), I do also use the 1/o & 2/o gamakatsu octapus hooks as well for shrimp & stink (punch) bait. I am however gonna order some Secret 7 this spring, most likely the $45 package with the hooks & stuff, so I may end up using some trebble hooks this summer.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I use single hooks, for CPR. when I lived up North I would use treble hooks for pike.
smokey

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes it all depends on the bait your fishing and the fish that you are targeting. I would only use treble hooks with a punch or dip bait. All other, live or cut baits I would use a single hook. Or double single hooks.
Same here. Isn't it illegal in most places to put a live baitfish on a treble hook? I use my circle hooks for anything of any size. If I'm fishing with punch/dip and not using a worm I put a sponge square on a treble and it works fairly well.

·
Banned
8,592 Posts
I use both. Sometimes I cut one hook off a treble and use it for whole baiting.
Just think Mepps minnow and you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Liver & stink bait I use trebles anything else I use a circle hook.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I learned years ago that the mortality rate when using treble hooks is huge. Gut hooks with a treble will almost always kill a catfish, or any other species, in my experiences. But if Im targeting carp only, I have no issue using trebles. But for cats, its nothing but circle hooks for me.:>

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I most generally use only circles of Khales, but a couple of yrs ago I caught a small cat that had a piece of mono hanging out his rearend about 6" and it had a treble hook that it had passed on through. I cut the treble off, couldn't believe it could pass that on through and still be healthy as could be. At least he didn't end up caught on something with the treble and die.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i had many people tell me that a small size like a #2 treble hook wont stand up to a big cat if i ever catch one..... welll i took my eagle claw #2 treble and put it on my snagging rod, hooked it to a chain attached to my boat trailer and tugged the hell out of it!!!!! i tightened the drag way past 10 lbs (40 lb mono) and it still didnt break... held the spool with my fingers and stretched the line almost to breaking point and it didnt break...........

i have trebles from #2 - 2/0 and some huge ones that are for lures (gatta deal on em)

one thing i do is crimp the barbs down.... ive seen striper in my like dead cause a treble closed off his mouth, and even caught a lucky few.......

something ive learned here on the BOC-USCA is u HHAAVVEE TTOO use the gear u feel comfortable with... if ur like how i was and u listen to everyones opinions youll drive yourself crazy... and then the sport looses its funn :(

singles are jus as good as trebles, i use them both, but bait and rigging is the main issue :) hope i helped some friend :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I only fish for flathead now. When i used to go for channels I would cut the tail off my shad connect a large needle to my snap swivel. Run the needle through the mouth and out the tail and connect a trebble hook. Pretty much catch them every time. Fillet them up right there and put them on ice. Did the same with liver. That was years ago now I cpr everything I catch.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Not a fan of trebles outside of the size needed to snag gators with.

Switched to circles for all but panfish when it became the standard down on the FL headboats, sorry but I don't remember the Year. Had the darnedest time getting over that 'set the hook' mentality but finally conquered it and don't believe I'd switch. Like most here, I'm a catch and release fisherman for the greater part and will not keep anything much bigger than will fit in the skillet.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I use to use trebles for cats but found you get more snags too. Trebles have there place on muskie and walleye lures. I stopped using them when my brother got one in his thumb after the cat flopped just right in the boat. We had to quit fishing to go to er to get it removed, ruined the whole day.:eek1::laugh:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I use to use trebles for cats but found you get more snags too. Trebles have there place on muskie and walleye lures. I stopped using them when my brother got one in his thumb after the cat flopped just right in the boat. We had to quit fishing to go to er to get it removed, ruined the whole day.:eek1::laugh:
Yikes!!!! I caught a Zara Spook in the Ear......still bear the scars. One second of carelessness by my fishing partner and we're off to the ER too. Treble hooks must be respected at all times!

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
stopped using trebles when i figured out pond channels will gobble up a cut bluegill just as good or better than a liver. i usually lost most of my liver before it hit the water anyways. man i dont miss them. now i dont have to stop at the store. my bait is in the pond. a worm and a tiny rod and reel ill have my bait in 10 min. havent used a treb since before this thread was started.:laugh:

41 - 60 of 67 Posts