Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What do you like to use, treble hooks or single hooks?

• treble hook

• single hook

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
i use strictly single circle hooks but i seen a thing on here about puttin a head on a treble hook and it sounded really good so i'm gonna try it a time or two. first you need to tie your string on a skinny stick or anything you can slide into the mouth and out the otherr end where its cut then tie on your treble hook and sit your head right down on it. its sounds good but i'll see if it really works.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I STILL HAVE MY TREBLES THAT I ONCED USED FOR CATTING BUT I REALLY COULD CARE LESS IF I USED THEM ANYMORE..... I DONT EVEN USE THEM FOR CATCHING EATERS ANYMORE BECASUE I USE THE EAGLECLAW 2/0 BAITBEEPER SNELLS......

IF U FISH FOR DINNER....THEIR FINE BUT IF YOU DONT, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIND SOME OTHER HOOKS FOR WAAAAY CHEAPER THEN YOU PAY FOR TREBLES

·
Registered
481 Posts
I use trebles when using dip bait because I am fishing for eaters with that. I use circles when fishing with live bait or cut bait because I am after larger fish with those and a fish with some size would be released. If an eater swallows a treble I don't care, I pull the dip worm up the line with needle nosed pliers and clip the line, put the fish on the stringer. If I intended to fish catch-and-release I'd never be using this sort of hook, I have hooked fish so often down the gullet and not in the lips.

I tried all sizes of circle hooks with dip worms and did not get good hookups. I got lots of run-and-drop. With a treble I can hold the rod and as soon as I see the line take off I set the hook, I get to catch and land a lot more of the fish that bite with trebles. I am only catching small catfish, 12"-25" with this method, and intend to keep those.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
if i was going to keep the fish i catch to eat, i would probably think about using treble hooks. they are good for what they are good for. three hooks for the price of one, means you have a 3 times better chance of hooking a fish that strikes. the problem is you can hook them in the gills or in so many spots you can get them out without killing the fish ether immediately or down the road.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I use circle hooks, can't use more than one hook unless on an artificial lure in MN, and I hate to remove treble hooks from a fish. I think a treble hook would hold liver better, but I use live bait mostly or cut bait, and circle hooks work good.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Yes it all depends on the bait your fishing and the fish that you are targeting. I would only use treble hooks with a punch or dip bait. All other, live or cut baits I would use a single hook. Or double single hooks.
:0a27: with this post & I would like to add that the only other time that I would even use a Treble Hook is when I'm fishing with Ba$$ Lures. (Crankbaits).
:wink:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts