treble hook vs single hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by mactheaxe, Aug 25, 2009.

What do you like to use, treble hooks or single hooks?

1. treble hook

2. single hook

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i was just wondering, what do you most prefer? treble or single? does it depend on the bait?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes it all depends on the bait your fishing and the fish that you are targeting. I would only use treble hooks with a punch or dip bait. All other, live or cut baits I would use a single hook. Or double single hooks.

3. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use a single hook, with mashed barb, because I release all that I get. State does not recommend eating anything you may catch in any of our lakes or rivers. Bummer!!
    Dave

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would only use treble hooks with a punch or dip bait. All other, live or cut baits I would use a single hook . Also some times I use a J hook when fishing a bait tube (the kind with holes in them) .

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    treble=trouble. i dont care for them. on verry rare occasions i will use a smaller one with dip bait but thats it verry rare i think the last time was 2yrs ago.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    single hooks only,I despise trebels for cats,I am not much of a cpr fisherman,But i prefer to release all under 3-4 lbs,I don't think trebels are cpr friendly to cats,

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont even use treble hooks with my dip bait,i replace them with circles.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Single. I always fear catching a cat in both lips, it breaking off, and then it starving to death because it's mouth is hooked shut.

9. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    you all have wonderful points, i however started using them mainly cuz the livers stay on better. that's about the only time i use them.

10. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    When I fished livers a lot when I was younger, I used a thin piece of sewing thread to wrap around both the liver and a regular bait hook and then tied it snugly but obv. not so tight that you break the thread. Your bait should stay in place pretty well :wink: You might try one of the live bait hooks that have the divets/barbs or whatever on the upper back part of the hook in conjunction with the thread as I think I remember those working the best. It can take some practice, but even as a younger kid, I REALLY disliked how badly you can hook a fish with a treble. Use a red or other similar dark color so it blends in well.

In deed, a "trouble" hook. The only type of hooks that I've hooked myself with, Lol :embarassed:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  11. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You will catch more fish with treble hooks, than single hooks for 2 reasons. One, no matter what bait you are using it will stay on better with treble hooks. Two, you will hook more fish with trebles, no doubt. They are a pain to get out of the fish, so many prefer not to fish with them. If you are going to keep the fish for food, which is OK where I live, then use the trebles. Don't worry about some BS like breaking a line and the fish dieing. Many fish that are CPRed die. I primarily use barbless single hooks, because it makes the fish easier to unhook. I still keep most I catch to eat. When I take very young fishermen out, I tie the trebles, 'cause I want them to catch as many fish a possible. Sometimes people on this site make it seem like a sin to catch and eat a fish; it is not, and do not feel like an outcast for doing it.

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I haven't fished with a treble hook since 2001. I was using a bass lure ( I know, bass is a 4 letter word!) which I hardly ever do, and got stuck BAD with the dang treble hooks. I worked one loose from my t-shirt and started to work the other loose, and then the first one was hooked on again, so I got it loose, then the other one got hooked again...... so I just ripped a hole in my shirt and swore to never use them again. :smile2::smile2:

13. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I normally use trebles for dough bait and livers and single hooks for live or cut. But I tried using panty hose to hold livers and dough bait on a single hook come to find out they work better for that than making womens legs look better:eek:oooh: ooops did I say that!

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    The only thing I have that uses treble hooks are my lures. I release about everything and trebles are no suited for that (IMO). I've even fished a fair amount with barbless hooks for smaller fish.

15. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used to use trebles and they work I guess, but I wouldnt say any better than single. I feel like I get a good deep hookset into the check with a nice circle hook. Treble sometimes seems to just hook a little bit everywhere in the mouth. And I agree that they hook you more than the fish.

16. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah i'll use a single circle for most of the larger cat baits, then a treble for chicken liver.

17. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Only using livers. Otherwise use singles or circles. Whenever using livers , I am fishing for food.

18. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    my thing has been, i get a lot of nibbles but no actual bites. i use large enough treble hooks that the little fish nibble, but dont get hit. so when the cat hits it, its a better bercentage of getting hooked because i catch most cats to eat, unless its one or two, then i dont see the trouble of cleaning, if theyre caught right, no injuries, ill let em go, if not, fillet it is. i just found em better for livers and not really concerned with injuries seein as im eatin em anyway. i have had em swallow the whole treble hook all the way to the stomach, but i just clean em and get my hook back.

19. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I use single hooks almost all the time, Gamma circles! Occasiona;;y I will use trebles for livers but I have about stopped that too, tieing the liver on the hook with a small thread of dental floss works pretty good or in a piece of nylon hose or even a latern mantle when times called for it worked pretty good on the single hook.

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use single hooks the majority of the time. I do switch to trebles in the heat of the summer when fishing for channels with liver and my homemade rotten shad bait.Good luck