Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What do you like to use, treble hooks or single hooks?

• treble hook

• single hook

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
single hooks only,I despise trebels for cats,I am not much of a cpr fisherman,But i prefer to release all under 3-4 lbs,I don't think trebels are cpr friendly to cats,

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you all have wonderful points, i however started using them mainly cuz the livers stay on better. that's about the only time i use them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I fished livers a lot when I was younger, I used a thin piece of sewing thread to wrap around both the liver and a regular bait hook and then tied it snugly but obv. not so tight that you break the thread. Your bait should stay in place pretty well :wink: You might try one of the live bait hooks that have the divets/barbs or whatever on the upper back part of the hook in conjunction with the thread as I think I remember those working the best. It can take some practice, but even as a younger kid, I REALLY disliked how badly you can hook a fish with a treble. Use a red or other similar dark color so it blends in well.

In deed, a "trouble" hook. The only type of hooks that I've hooked myself with, Lol :embarassed:

·
Registered
196 Posts
You will catch more fish with treble hooks, than single hooks for 2 reasons. One, no matter what bait you are using it will stay on better with treble hooks. Two, you will hook more fish with trebles, no doubt. They are a pain to get out of the fish, so many prefer not to fish with them. If you are going to keep the fish for food, which is OK where I live, then use the trebles. Don't worry about some BS like breaking a line and the fish dieing. Many fish that are CPRed die. I primarily use barbless single hooks, because it makes the fish easier to unhook. I still keep most I catch to eat. When I take very young fishermen out, I tie the trebles, 'cause I want them to catch as many fish a possible. Sometimes people on this site make it seem like a sin to catch and eat a fish; it is not, and do not feel like an outcast for doing it.

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,071 Posts
I haven't fished with a treble hook since 2001. I was using a bass lure ( I know, bass is a 4 letter word!) which I hardly ever do, and got stuck BAD with the dang treble hooks. I worked one loose from my t-shirt and started to work the other loose, and then the first one was hooked on again, so I got it loose, then the other one got hooked again...... so I just ripped a hole in my shirt and swore to never use them again. :smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I normally use trebles for dough bait and livers and single hooks for live or cut. But I tried using panty hose to hold livers and dough bait on a single hook come to find out they work better for that than making womens legs look better:eek:oooh: ooops did I say that!

·
Banned
283 Posts
I used to use trebles and they work I guess, but I wouldnt say any better than single. I feel like I get a good deep hookset into the check with a nice circle hook. Treble sometimes seems to just hook a little bit everywhere in the mouth. And I agree that they hook you more than the fish.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my thing has been, i get a lot of nibbles but no actual bites. i use large enough treble hooks that the little fish nibble, but dont get hit. so when the cat hits it, its a better bercentage of getting hooked because i catch most cats to eat, unless its one or two, then i dont see the trouble of cleaning, if theyre caught right, no injuries, ill let em go, if not, fillet it is. i just found em better for livers and not really concerned with injuries seein as im eatin em anyway. i have had em swallow the whole treble hook all the way to the stomach, but i just clean em and get my hook back.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use single hooks almost all the time, Gamma circles! Occasiona;;y I will use trebles for livers but I have about stopped that too, tieing the liver on the hook with a small thread of dental floss works pretty good or in a piece of nylon hose or even a latern mantle when times called for it worked pretty good on the single hook.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts