Treasured Family Heirloom/Antique

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, May 24, 2006.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jen's scent thread has me thinking about the past. Do you own a treasured family heirloom/antique(fishing gear or other)? Why is it so special? How old is it and how did you acquire it?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have an old single barrel shotgun, 12 ga, that has been in our family since 1904. My great-grandfather bought it and no doubt it was bought with moonshine money. It was made by Bridge Gun Company. Daddy said that one of his brothers was hunting and went to step over a log (and he was barefooted) and was about to step on a rattlesnake and he shoved the butt of the gun down on the log to push himself back and broke the stock off of it. He whittled a new stock out of cherry wood for it. Daddy had told stories about killing so many ducks with it that the barrel would be too hot to touch. In 1980 someone broke into our house and stole every gun we had. Daddy put out a reward for information and one of the crooks friends brought that old gun and tried to get the reward, well long story short, Daddy got that gun back but nothing else and nobody ever got arrested. Those Browning shotguns, our deer rifles and assorted other guns were eventually replaced but we got back the only one that couldn't be. When Daddy died a few years ago it was passed down to me and now resides in my fire proof gun vault.
    It was made to shoot paper hull shells and when you shoot a plastic hull it won't eject the empty. We always carried a heavy bolt to drop down the barrel to knock out the hull. I carried it to a gunsmith and had the chamber lengthened and I plan on killing several more squirrels with it before I pass it down.
    It wouldn't bring 20 dollars at a pawn shop but it is priceless to me.

ST

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

What a great story Greg! Thanks for sharing!

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My Father worked on the first Apollo missions and has since past away. I have some very neat stuff and awards that he won in the 60s & 70s while working on those missions. He also worked in the Aegis program if you know about that stuff.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I have my Great Grandpa alcohol proofing kit from his moonshinning days. It is a beaker with a glass instrument you float in it and it will tell you the proof of the moonshine.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got a civil war revolver from my great great great great uncle. Yes thats four greats. It's not in mint conditon or anyhting, but it is neat to have a gun that old that is still in the family. It's worth a decent amount of money and I'll never sell it.

7. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Oh my goodness where do I begin,
    Several years ago, when I was about 9 or so, my Papa took us out to shoot his 410, I completely tore the ground up in front of us. Well, fast forward a few years and I asked Papa if I could have his guns once he was gone, if he'd leave them to me. laughing he said that he didnt think I had any business with any guns. Well since then I set out to prove a point and I am very good @ targeting. He still didnt see fit to leave his only granddaughter all his amours..lol. Within hours of my Papa passing, my Dad called me into the room and there they all laid, he told me to take them home because he knew I wanted them. After picking myself up from the floor I thanked him and still in awe that I have them.
    I also have several of his metals from Veitman, Korea, and WWII. Plaques and honour pins. I have picture albums that has pictures of my great great grandparents and family lineage. How on earth I acquired them, I dont know! I also have an aphgan that is old that I have on the Cedar Robe that I got too. My house if full of stuff that we were fortunate to get, also my husbands Dad was born in 1910 and he has some things that belonged to him. But I prize the guns and military stuff most.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Orthophonic Console Model Victrola
    Given to my wifes mother on her 16th birthday by her uncle. Using serial numbers and looking up on the internet shows it was made about 1926. Cost was $85. We've had it about 30 years. It still works and there is a couple dozen old records in the storage bin. They were some that were popular in it's day. They are pretty scratched but still make music.

My granddad born in 1838, fought in the Civil War, was wounded and captured at Gettysburg and remained a prisoner till the end of the war. I only have some pictures and his Obituary card/with picture that my mother passed on to me.

Attached Files:

9. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    my grandfather's blood & fire award, which he was awarded in WWII, along with his presidential commendation. i have both framed on my mantle

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thank you so much for all your posts, they're wonderful stories! I am also lucky enough to have many items passed down through my family. If I have to choose, I'd say that the old photographs and dageurreotypes are the most special. I have many from the 1800s. They are wonderful family memorabilia as well as a historical record. When my great, great aunt died I rescued them from a trash box. I have several items that belonged to my great, great grandparents - my favorites: a large turn-of-the-century bamboo easel, and my g.g.grandaddy's straight razor (with box) and shaving mirror.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Now that we have an antiques forum, thought I'd bring this back up and see if anyone else would like to share a description of your treasure with us :smile2:.