tread slow going!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by on_the_fly, Jul 30, 2009.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    am I the only one intersted in casting a fly around here year round? dont see much going on in this fly fishing fourm. hard to belive no one is starting to fly fish the stripe jumps or out wadding a warm water stream, or even havin fun with the gills with their light 2 wts. my dad and I have been doing alot of fly fishing behind the tail waters here on the lake lately with prety good out comes with crappies, stripes, and gar. and the lake side for gills. we are waiting for them to get the lake back to summer pool levels so they will quit letting out so much water so we can start trouting it up again on down stream.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to fly fish myself and used to do it all the time where I used to live.
    A lot of streams were spring fed and if the temps were above 32 you could always find a midge hatch and a few rising hatch.
    All I got now are crappy small streams with stocked trout and smallmouth.
    Still like to break out the flyrod once in a while just for fun or make the 3 hour trip to Erie for steelhead.

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    When winter hits and it gets real boring I might break out the vise and do some tying.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i throw a few flies around just not real good at it,gonna have to get back at it before winter sets in

5. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I used to fly fish like crazy when there were more trout in the water in lancaster. Went out fly fishing with my dad yesterday and caught a bunch of chubs while he was nailing smallmouth.

6. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I still fly fish although I haven't done much of it this year. It seems I spend all of my time catching bait for flathead fishing. I fish mostly for trout but you can't beat 1lb bluegills on a fly rod. If you want to talk fly fishing or fly tying give me a shout. I have been tying flies for a very long time. I used to fish for small stripers years ago in the tidal Susquehanna.:big_smile:

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Actually my pursuit of carp lasts throughout the year. At one point a couple of years ago my consecutive streak for at least 1 carp on the fly every month ended with the total being 21 consacutive months. Never caught a catfish on the fly, but I'll try! :wink:

Ray

8. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    dang Ray I didnt know you got down with fly fishing I could pull out my diamondback and we could hit some of the fly fishing only spots I frequent. But I want to warn you most of the other fly fisherman around here hate me due to the fact I dont fit the mold... and because I catch fish in spots right after they leave them:wink:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Joe, that's the mold that fits me too. In streams other than trout streams as well as ponds and lakes, I (tongue in cheek) CHUM for carp. Don't do the trout thing much more warm water stuff. The carp in my avatar was caught on a 3 wt. fly rod as a dare from my friend. It was his rod and I had gotten a bunch of carp actively feeding on bread on the surface. We both tie flies made from the yarn used to tie the egg imitations. I told him that I would hook one for him, but he would have to bring it in as I did not want to break his Reddington 3 wt. He waited until I hooked that on and said it's all yours and don't worry about the rod because it has a lefetime replacement warranty. The rest is history as they say. :wink:

Ray