Treacherous Big Pee Dee 4 29 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, today was a wild one on the river! Got there shortly after daybreak. I knew it was rising as I had checked the online charts before I went. I had no clue as to what was in store for us. Left Blue's and cruised down to my usual starting spot. The river was so high, I could not even find any snags to tie up to. We did manage to find a tie off point, and I caught a small channel. We left that spot and went to another "proven" area to fish. Had a monster break my line before I could get the rod out of the rod holder! That's two days in a row this has happened, and I guarantee you, the next 100 dollar bill that goes through my hands will be for a 1500 yard spool of Power Pro 80#. Left there and could not for the life of me find another suitable spot to fish. The current was crazy, debris was EVERYWHERE, and the wind was whipping. We got back to the landing and I decided to push forward up river to give Dewayne a chance to catch a nice fish. We tied up to a dead fall right above a rock bar that I always catch fish. We had just gotten settled in looking out the back of the boat at the rods and I just happened to glance back, up the river. A MASSIVE pile of debris was headed at a high rate of speed right for the place we were tied to. I screamed for Dewayne to CUT THE ROPE. He couldn't get to his knife in time, so he scrambled up front to quickly untie us. I managed to get one or two rods reeled in, and then hit reverse with the boat, in the process, backing over and fouling one of my lines. All I could think of was that massive pile of debris that surely weighed tons, hitting our tie up spot and the force of the water pushing it up and over right into our boat capsizing or crushing us. Fortunately, the huge tree we were tied to held it back. I was shaking like a possum pooping persimmon seeds! Still undaunted, we pushed up river looking for any suitable spot to wet a hook but it was not to be so today. When I got home, I checked the charts and the river had risen a whopping FIVE FEET while we were on it but for a few hours. I am thankful for our lives, but it seems every time Dewayne gets a day to go, some circumstance keeps us from having any luck. He's a cool guy and I really want to put him on some fish. I'm sure our day will come, but I wish it would hurry up!! :)
    Bill in SC

2. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Bill,
    Ya'll be extra careful when the river is that high. 2 yrs. ago the river was up and I ran over a submerged log floating down around the big island up river form Cheraw, I was in my 16ft. jon boat and I thought the boat was going to turn over. I don't get in the river when it is as high as it was today. That deal broke me. Please be careful man.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Believe me, brother, the river was VERY TOLERABLE when we put in this morning. I should have checked the upriver chart and seen what was going on up there. I had NO IDEA it was going to rise FIVE FEET in a few hours. Really, if you keep your eye's open and stay on top of things there's not much worry. I just putt around saving gas anyhow. That being said, things CAN get out of hand quickly if you don't stay alert and use good navigational skills when the river is funky. Lets' go fishin' SOON!
    BB

4. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hope it gets better by this weekend. I'd hate for this weekend to be a wasted bachelor "fishing" Party.

5. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    that is a scary feeling! I was looking at the hydrologs chart and the water is very unpredictable right now!

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think it finally crested, and is falling now. I hope it gets down right before Saturday.
    BB in SC