Trawl Nets??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Old Bill, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Has anyone using a trawl net pulled behind their boat to catch bait fish?

Just wondering how it works, and if it is easier or harder to catch fish than a throw (cast) net?

I's one lazy old man!:wink:

Bill

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got one that I've tried a couple of times...haven't caught anything at all in it so far. Shad were jumping out of the water all around the boat, so I know they were there, just not in the net.

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, that doesn't sound too encouraging!:crazy:

I'd been thinking that if all I had to do was drag a trawl net around for awhile...and catch lots of bait...then I might buy one! Ha! :roll_eyes:

Thanks,

Bill

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bill, go ahead and get one - it'd be a good excuse to just loaf around on the water and you could at least tell people you were getting doing something constructive instead of just loafing:smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The drag they create is absolutely awesome. I was afraid to give the motor full throttle for fear that the rope would break. Then when you start to pull the net in, you have to almost stop, which gives any fish in the net an excellent chance to escape. I do much better using a long handled dip net (with wire mesh) where there is swift current alongside a concrete wall. Still, it's hard to get fresh shad in some areas, like Little Rock. That's why I stock up on skipjack every spring; so I'll have bait the year round.

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Branden, that's a great idea! Even if I never caught any bait it would still be a great day on the water!:wink:

Bill

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hummmm! It sounds like my little 6 HP motor might not be up to the task of pulling a trawl net through the water!

Oh well, it was just a thought anyway!:confused2:

Jerry, where do you get the skipjack and how do you keep the skipjack all year? freeze?

So much to learn...and so little time!:big_smile:

Bill

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought one and it's sitting in the basement. It has so much drag a person could use it for a drift sock. lol My 90 had a hard time pulling it, what a waste of money that was.

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Yikes! If a 90 HP motor has problems...my little 6 HP wouldn't stand a chance!!:crazy::crazy:

I guess I'll just have to spend more time practicing with my throw net!:eek:oooh:

Bill

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bill, I make a trip over to Pickwick Dam on the Tennessee River every spring, just to stock up on skipjack. In the winter, if you can find a warm water discharge from a power plant, you can often catch a big mess of them. Here in Little Rock, if the water flow is just right in the spring, I can catch a 5-gallon bucket full in 2 or 3 hours. At Pickwick, I can generally catch 100# in the same time period.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Always have heard cast nets worked a lot better that trawls. I use a cast net myself.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe you guys were just operating the boat too fast. A trawl net should work. I will probably get one this summer. It may be work, but what have I done in life that wasn't work of one form or another.