travel trailer and boat

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by crackers, Feb 3, 2008.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Has any one pulled a travel trailer and a boat, I have a pontoon boat 21ft and a 20 ft travel trailer. my truck is a f250 that im sure will pull it but have never pulled more than one thing behind it. I have seen ppl pulling both one behind the other and always wondered if it was a big problem. any sugestions thanks

2. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Crackers,
    I would check with your local law enforcement. I personally dont think it is legal to pull two "trailers" behind one personal vehicle.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea Jerry you would need to check the laws, some states allow certain lengths with no amount, and other are certain lengths with only one tow. If you are good as far as that shouldn't be any trouble with it, just like dragging doubles or trips on a big truck. May just need to carry the correct license for it.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerry ,I'm not sure in your state ,But here you can pull a boat behind your camper provided that the camper is a fifth wheel type,all others are not allowed.

5. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well I would think it would be illilagel (cant spell it so it must not be wrong) haha. but In missouri I have seen it done, dont know if they got stoped or not but I wondered if it could be done it would save an extra trip home to pick up your boat or travel trailer. but safe or not I coold not say. I would want electric brakes on both boat and travel trailer too so I could stop a lot quicker.. I would not think it would be the pulling that would be so hard but the stopping that would be the problem...even what types of hitches you would need.

6. k.huisman

k.huisman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I HAVE 33 FITHWHEEL AND BOAT BOAT TRAILER 21FT AND PUT THEM TO GET JUST FINE

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe in Oklahoma, the law states your overall length cannot exceed 65 feet. The primary mover does not have to be a fifth wheel, so you can tow with two trailer hitches. But, the only sane, reasonable thing to do is check with your state police for its vehicle codes, and do whatever it takes to comply with the law.

8. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I will call the hwy patrol this week, and I will post what I find out, I might just need to do that this comming season, The distance would not be far to the camping site and where I would need to put in for the boat but it would be a lot eaiser to pull them both there at the same time. cheers Jerry

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to pull a 1957 Crosley camper and made a hitch behind it for my 19' Lowe. It was a pain in the butt. I had to pull into truck stops to fill er up. Most gas stations do not have room for you to pull in. When you want to stop and grab a burger, it's a pain to find a place to park. Then God forbid, don't get yourself in a position where you have to back up.

I did it because I loved that old camper. It had a wooden screen door. lol Real mattress's with springs in them. It was fun. But coming back from KY Lake maybe 7 years ago, it's darn frame broke. It ended up at a junkyard in KY, somewhere by Henderson.

Now I have a truck camper on my F250 and pull my boat. It's legal everywhere.

Heres the site you need.

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

:smile2::big_smile::big_smile::wink:

10. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The total length is 65 ft. and the no. of trailers is two, and So we are coverd on that part.. thanks so much for the headsup on the website thats were i got it from.. Thank you very much OH NO cheers jerry

11. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Depends on state laws, in Texas I pull a 28ft trl. 14ft boat, with a` excab dodge. total 68ft long and legal.