Travel rod for catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Steelie L, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Steelie L

Steelie L New Member

State:
    Washington
    I'm interesting in getting a three- or four-piece catfishing rod that fits into my suitcase for times when we visit the in-laws in Louisiana. On the pond we fish, the biggest cat I'm likely to catch is in the 10- to 15-pound range, with most in the 1- to 5-pound range.

Any suggestions?

I see that there's a 4-piece Ugly Stik (SPL-1104-60). Anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks!

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    are you driving or flying to visit with them??

ether way, when i travel i just take my regular rods. Get you a hard rod case. the one i have can be telescopic to help me fit my longer rods. with my large catfishing/surf rods i can put i think 5 or 6 of them in one case. then i have a reel case that will hold 8 reels at a time and i just put that in my suit case. if you are at your bag limit on an airplane you can pay a small fee and they will throw those in also, if not they just count that as regular luggage.

just my opinion, i would rather have a rod case anyway so that i am comfortable with the equipment im fishing with...

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    one more thing, you can use the case to transport any kind of rod for any kind of fishing. so if your headed on a long trip to go steelhead fishing, then you can put your steelhead rod in there.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That ugly stik should do..

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use a 5' two piece ugly stik for ponds and works well for me. Its pretty small broke down and handles big and small fish in a pond.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    here's a great travel rod look at this rod the tsunami TSTSS-863H. its 8.5ft long, rated for 3/4-3oz, and retails for 80 dollars. check it out