Trash on rivers and lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Since some of the public will not clean up their own trash, there is a solution to this problem. The NC Wildlife Federation on Lake Norman started a program whereby different people would adopt an island and keep it clean, just like the State of North Carolina has a keep it clean road program.

Also, the NCWF, thru its volunteers will/have also planted trees, such as williows and button wood trees to help stop eroision. Additional, they erect duck and bird houses for native wildlife. Each year, Duke Energy along with others holds a clean up weekend each spring to clean up the shore line of the State Park Area, which is dedicated to public use.

If you are having a problem why don't you contact the NCWF about your lake or river and see if they would be willing to take it on as a project.

I adopted two island two years ago and I visit each about every 90 days to remove beer cans, bottles, lumber, and you name it. Each visit produces approx. forty pound of trash per island and I leave several trash bags for people to put their trash in, some do and some don't.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Good idea. I like it. That being said I wouldn't want to adopt the Heron Island in Crowders. Maybe Goat Island in front of Ebeneezer. How do I get started Mac?

3. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You're a good man. Theres a pic of me somwhere climbing out of the Haw with a dog carcass. Check this out http://www.scseagrant.org/oldsite/education/education_bsrs.htm

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I always carry a garbage bag when I fish and pick a few things up along the way. I even scoop stuff off the water in my boat. Good idea to do the adoption thing!!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most areas of the river I fish have to be accessed thru private property..It's getting harder and harder to get permission with all the trash left behind by the slobs.

6. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    well i dont adopt islands or nothing like that but i have always gone down on high rock and bring back out a couple of big bags of garbage. i have never figureed out why people are so lazy not to take the stuff back out with them what they bring in

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I also carry a trashbag to the bank when I go fishing and try to remove any trash that is there. If we all did our part then the slobs may get the point one day.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's the exact reason nobody will let you fish in retention ponds here in Wilmington or let you fish in their private ponds back home in Lexington. A few people that just simply don't care ruin it for the rest of us. It truly is a shame.

9. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    good idea but it wouldnt have to be in effect if everyone would just pick up after them selves its a said world we live in were people have to go as far as destroying their own p&r sites

10. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    That is a great idea, they need to do that in PA